26. Home is where you are

M A R Y

His arm supported my waist while his other hand held mine that sat closest to his body. “Niall, I’m sure I could have walked out to the car on my own.” I smiled, glancing over in his direction while he opened up the car door.

“Tony get in.” He called attention to his younger brother who was paying no attention to either of us. “Mary, if I’m going to be a better… boyfriend” he began slowly with a little bit of hesitance. “I need to care for you better, and besides you have broken ribs that aren’t even healed yet. You could still get hurt.” He sighed, glaring over at his brother, “Hey shorty, you gonna get in the car?” Tony looked up at Niall, smiling shyly.

“Sorry, I was looking at that girl over there.” He mumbled, “Kinda makes me miss Aubrey.” He whined, playing with my hair as soon as I took my place in the front seat.

“Ya know Tony, maybe if you ask Niall real nicely he would let Aubrey come and visit.”

His face lit up, watching as Niall made his way around the car and into the driver’s side. “Would ya really let her come visit Niall?”

He shrugged, sighing as he looked in my direction. A large smile was plastered on my face.

“I guess it wouldn’t hurt.” He began, turning the key to start up the car, and pull out of the dull hospital’s parking lot. “We are going to have to stay at the motel a few more nights anyway, I don’t know of any homes in Bradford yet. Have to look around. We can do that as soon as Mary is better.” He smiled, gripping my hand in his as he drove down the open road.

“That could be a few months, Niall. Are you saying we are going to stay at the motel for what three or more months?”

“Couldn’t hurt right?” he glanced over at me, noticing Tony messing with my hair. “Be careful with Mary, alright Tony?”

“He’s just playing with my hair, Niall.” I giggled, “It’s okay. The motel had a strange home feel to it.” I admitted, “It’s odd, because even though it wasn’t home. It felt like home.”

“It is home. Home is where ever you two are.” He grinned, glancing in my direction as I carefully scooted a little closer to him. “Home is where I get to come home to you two. Eat dinner with you two, and hangout with you two.” He paused, his arm snaking around me cautiously. “Hell, if we were sleeping in my car, it would still be home.”

“Ya know, you got rid of this whole, bad boy rep and picked up corny lines along the way.” I joked, resting my head on his shoulder.

“Hey! You complained that I was such an ass, and now you have a problem when I really fall for ya.” He laughs, kissing the top of my head while still managing to keep his eyes on the road.

“Can we go to Dairy Queen again?” Tony chimed in, poking his head to rest next to mine.

“Yeah, can we Niall?” I begged with him, smiling over at Tony, giving him a quick wink as he smiled.

“You don’t have to ask me twice.”

-

The car fell silent for the next two hours. The only sound you could hear was the sound of Niall taking in random deep breaths as he got frustrated with other drivers on the road. And the sound of Tony making random sound effects whenever Niall would turn a corner, or speed up after a stop sign.

“Do you think my dad will get out?” I blurted, not even knowing that the question had been on my mind until now. Niall looked over at me shocked, before returning his eyes back onto the road.

“Why would ya ask such a thing?”

“Well, I know it’s like, weird to ask because he just got locked up. But He got out once, who is to say he won’t get out again, you know?”

“You do have a point, and I won’t say that he’s not something to worry about anymore. But he always will be. It will take a while for you to get comfortable being alone, or going out to the grocery store without worrying about him showing up. But I promise, as long as I’m around you don’t have to worry about being hurt. Okay?” I smiled, closing my eyes as I nodded. I knew that Niall wouldn’t let anyone hurt Tony or me. But my father still haunted my mind. I guess it gave me some kind of idea how Niall must feel about his mother’s death. That even though it happened a few years ago, he is still hurt and effected by it.

Of course, my father only got put away a few days ago, so it was still fresh in my mind. “This is all just going to haunt me for ages.” I mumbled quietly.

“All I can say right now is that I promise to never hurt you or Tony that way. It’s terrible.” He whispered, thankful that Anthony had fallen asleep after ice cream this time around. “I love you guys.” He adds. “Don’t know what I would do without either of you to be honest.” He chuckled.

“You’d probably still be that bad boy from Rockland. The one who’s never been in love.”

He laughed, shaking his head, “You’re probably right.”

I stared out the windshield, not recognizing our surrounds, due to being asleep last time. It was pretty out here, and to be quite honest I wouldn’t mind living in the motel for the rest of my life. Tony had a friend there, it was just out of town by a few minutes, and there was a lake right out back for those who come around here to fish. It was the perfect atmosphere, and like Niall said, anywhere was home as long as we had each other.

________________________

Sorry if this was boring, kind of a lame filler chapter! 

Comment something lovely, and vote for a chance to get a dedication! 

I hope you enjoyed it!! 

xx -A