7. "Goodnight... Princess"

N I A L L

“Why?” she spoke up, her voice still quiet, pain still evident in how she spoke. I glanced over at her, my eyes trying to stay focused on the road.

“Why what?”

“Why are you—why were you at my house?” her eyes stayed on her hands that sat folded in her lap. Picking at her cuticles.

“My intentions weren’t—to well, I didn’t come to sneak you out if that’s what you are asking.” How do I explain to her that I showed up at her house to pester her the way that she always seems to do to me every time she sees me? “Are you hungry or something, I can swing through someplace.” I add.

Her head shook, “No.” I frowned, not being able to help the feeling that she is probably confused. Confused as to why her father did that, why he hurt her.

“You want to know something?” This got her to look at me through her eyelashes, her head still dipped low.

“No.” I laughed slightly, glancing over at her before fixing my gaze back on the road.

“Oh come on Princess, you gotta stop thinking about what happened back there. You’ll never feel better.” I stated, nudging her lightly in hopes to get a smile out of her. Something that I knew might be hard to do when she huffed, making me look like an idiot. I put the car in park, jumping out of the door as I stared back at her from outside of the car. “Come on, we are getting ice cream.” She rolled her eyes, pushing open the passenger side door before stepping out.

“I don’t want to get ice cream.” She sighed, standing up on the sidewalk with me.

“Too bad, Princess. Come on.”

“Don’t you have a brother or something, treat him to ice cream.”

“He’s at Harry’s, my friend’s house.” I explained. “I left my dad’s, and we’ve recently started staying at Harry’s.”

“Why are you telling me this?” I grabbed the two milk shakes from the lady at the counter, giving her a smile.

“You were inquiring about me, I’m giving you answers.” I murmured, sitting at the first empty booth I laid my eyes on. She slid into the booth across from me, taking the milkshake from my hand.

“I’m not interested right now.”

I shrugged, taking the first sip of my milkshake, the straw going flat with no luck in getting any of the thick ice cream concoction. “Anthony, my brother is nine. And I’ve been taking care of him since I was nine. My dad became emotionally checked out and it’s like he died with my mom. The past few years he became violent towards my brother, and that’s why I decided enough was enough.” I paused, her eyes glazed over. “I punched him… ran out with Tony and just—been livin’ on the streets.” She pushed the milkshake away, her hands falling to her lap before licking her fat lip. “I know I was being a dick... I was being rude when you were nothing but nice to me. But—talk to me.” I sighed.

“Why all of a sudden the change of heart huh?” she paused, leaning in towards me from across the table, “you made it perfectly clear that my life was too perfect for you.” She whispered.

My eyes closed, gathering my nerves to respond. Actually, I didn’t even know how to respond because she had a point. I had been so persistent on hiding that I was curious to know her too. I’ll admit it to anyone but her straight out. “I could have acted like I didn’t see anything, I could have left you there is that what you wanted?” she stayed silent, knowing that I was right. She had no desire to be home for one more second. “That’s what I thought.” I growled, rolling my eyes when I took another, easier, sip of my melting milk shake. Hers sitting firmly in the middle of the table untouched. “Is there a place you can stay tonight, or do I have to see if Harry will let you stay with us too?” I questioned, that probably being a big step but it was worth a shot. Considering I didn’t want her to go home tonight, and I know she didn’t particularly want to go back either. She only gave me a shrug in response, only making me become more impatient than I was five seconds ago.