Chapter Eighteen

~ Kaiden's POV ~

I yawned loudly as Braydon glared at me silently, I slammed my locker shut attracting the attention of multiple people.

"Look, if you have something to say then spit it-" I started but Braydon cut me off.

"That was a fucking dick move" he cried,

"What was?"

"Don't act innocent" he hissed, his glare becoming scarier.
"We have a major game coming up and where was the captain for practice? Not fucking there!" By the end of his rant, he was breathing deeply.

"Look, I'm sorry" I said honestly,
"It was a dick move from my part but I promise to be there at break"

"You better be" he said walking off with the crowd of students. I let out my breath, beginning my track to Maths.
During the lesson, I could feel Brandon's eyes shift to me every once in a while as though I'd run as soon as the bell went. But when it did go, I calmly packed up my stuff and followed Braydon to the gym where Mr Allens stood with a scowl on his face.

"Haven't seen your face in a while" he  sneered,

"Sorry coach, there has been many... situations" I said.

"No excuses" he snapped before an unsettling grin came over his face.
"Now, let's get started"

~

"I'm... dying!" I puffed, my lungs hurt and my legs felt like lead. Somehow, coach Allens was able to get me out of all my classes and we've been training all day. Worse is the fact that the principal still wanted me to complete class work so that work has to be done at home before tomorrow.

"ONE MORE LAP!" Mr Allens called, Braydon had already gone back to class with a smug look on his face. The bell rang for the end of the day and I still had to run another lap around this massive gym while dribbling the ball.

"Will you ever skip a practice again?" Mr Allens roared,

"No" I huffed as sweat dropped down my forehead. Every breath felt like tiny knives in my lungs.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!" He yelled as I came down the last stretch.

"NO SIR" I cried flopping at his feet, breathing heavily.

"Good work" Mr Allens said proudly,
"Now you'll know the punishment if this happens again"

"Got... it" I said trying not to talk much. After lying there for a few minutes, Mr Allen tossed me a cold water bottle which I chugged.

"You're free to go, tomorrow afternoon is another practice before the big game Friday" he said as I tossed the empty bottle in the trash and slipped on m bag.

"My everything hurts" I groaned in reply, Mr Allens slapped my back in an encouraging way.

"You'll be fine, see you tomorrow captain" he said as I practically got shoved out of the gym. I drew a heavy sigh, grabbing my phone and calling Felix. Hopefully he'd give me some of today's notes so I can finish the work assigned to me.

"Hello?" Felix said, his voice sounded weak.

"Hey Felix, do you have today's notes?"
I asked hopefully as I swung my keys on my finger.

"I was going to ask you" he said. I frowned as I got into my car and tossed my bag in the back seat.

"Why? Weren't you there today?"

"Nope" he said,
"I'm-" he paused as he coughed heavily.

"Are you sick?" I asked worriedly,

"No, no, I'm fine" he dismissed before I heard him blow his nose.

"You're not fine" I said sternly,
"By the sounds of it, you have a cold"

"I think I'd know if I had a cold" he replied sarcastically.

"Clearly not, I'm coming over now" I said, he groaned.

"You don't need to, I'm fine"

"I'm coming" I said before hanging up and putting the keys in the ignition. My phone rang, I picked it up

"Look, I don't care what you say I'm coming over to help you-"

"Well that's nice" it wasn't Felix but Skye.
"I'll see you soon then?"

"No, no. Sorry, I thought you were someone else" I apologised running my fingers through my hair.

"If you're not coming over, where are you going then?" She asked, I could practically hear her raising her perfectly drawn eyebrow.

"To a friends, look I've got to go. See you tomorrow" I said hanging up on her too, I rubbed my face before driving onto the road. I made a few pit stops along the way but I finally made it to Felix's apartment. Even though my arms were weak and my legs hurt, I managed to get up to Felix's room carrying the shopping bags.

I opened the unlocked door, seeing Felix on the couch with his arm draped over his face. He looked to be sleeping so I quietly snuck in, shutting the door behind me and tip-toed through his house. It was a complete mess, I could
see his track through the house. He left his unmade bed, trying to make breakfast but eventually crashed on the couch which was surrounded by tissues and rubbish. A book was on the ground, 'Huckleberry Finn' the title said.
His breath came out in slow even breaths through his mouth and he was wrapped up in his quilt that was once on his bed. I stood over his body as he shifted his arm off his face. I brushed a piece of copper brown hair off his face, feeling his temperature. His stitches were uncovered but healing nicely, he should go back to hospital to get them out soon.

"Like I thought, a cold" I muttered after a while, standing back up and walking into the dark kitchen, flicking on the light. I took out the things from the plastic bags. One contained cough medicine, extra tissues and throat lollies. The other contained ingredients. I began cleaning the house, making sure everything was back where it was. I made the bed, threw stuff out, cleaned the dirty kitchen and straightened up Felix who had somehow slid halfway off the couch. He'd sometimes groan and shift in his sleep but it didn't look as though he was having a nightmare.

I looked around the now clean room, proud of it before setting up in the kitchen. I planned on making a beef stew, one my mother used to make when I got sick.
I began cooking, quietly making my around the kitchen so not to wake Felix.

Little bit slower and shorter then the other chapters but I've been busy lately.