Chapter 4

Once I get out to the garage I find a giant note of the door.

Arianna,

Since you’re going to be with us for a while we took the liberty to rent this car for you.

Enjoy,

Aunt Ellie and Lucas

I’m, most definitely, going to have to thank them in a huge way for this. It’s a nice Lexus Camry. The blue small car looked bran new and it was all mine for 2 months. I shoved the note in my pocket and opened the driver door. The key was in the cup holder and I felt a tingle when the car started up, it sounded great. At home I have a big piece of junk, metal and it felt good for a change.

I headed into town and pulled up in front of a couple of little shops. The street was lined with them, cafes and a movie theater. Before I got out of the car, I texted Aunt Ellie.

Thanks for the car. It really is too much. Also, I wanted to confirm the whole gala thing. I saw the tickets on the fridge.

Thanks to her fast typing, she responded.

Aunt Ellie,

Oh you are very welcome and don’t mention it to your mom okay? But yeah I forgot to tell you about it last night but Lucas’s work is having this Gala and he got two tickets for us knowing you were going to be here this weekend. Did you bring anything dressy?

Ha-ha. Yeah no, I didn’t. But I’m in town now and ill pick something up. My mom did give me $1,000 in spending money, including my money I made working. So ill have something. Thanks again!

I felt like my legs were going to drop and my arms were going to fall off. Trying on dresses and walked from one shop to another and all around the stores was exhausting! I decided to take a break after finding a nice teal, floor length dress with an open back and v-neck. I had bought nice silver heals and matching earrings to go with the dress, but I still had to pick up something for Aunt Ellie and Lucas to show my appreciation and also a late wedding gift.

I’m sitting in a small town coffee shop, drinking terrible coffee, holding myself still and happy in the moment, and feeling my soul overflowing with joy. I could people watch here for hours. The rituals are mesmerizing. The humanness is mesmerizing. Walk Like an Egyptian playing on the faint radio in the background…yeah! We make our lives so complicated. But really, I think that all we need is this: a bit of sustenance, a bit of companionship, and some seriously amazing music.

I set down the coffee as I watched a man and what looked like his wife smiling and talking quietly while holding hands across the table. They were the ideal picture of a couple when you would see them in public. I smiled to myself as I thought about my love life, at a standstill.

My view of the couple was blocked when the waiter came back to my table and set down my half turkey sandwich and garden salad. I smiled up at him when he asked if I wanted anything else.

“Yes actually ill have a glass of water, please.” I said handing him the half drank coffee.

“Not very good huh?” he said, flashing his white teeth taking the mug from me. I nodded my head and scrunched my nose as if I smelt something bad.

HE let out a chuckle. “Yeah, you’re not the first customer to say that. I’ll be back with your water. Enjoy.” I smiled up at him and he walked away.

When I went to look back at the couple I saw they had left, actually, everyone had left. It was only me sitting at the far table against the front window.