Ch. 2- A New Friendship

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke nice and warm with a blanket over me. A small fire was next to me. Heat. I sat up, pushing the strangely stiff blanket aside, and rubbed the sleep out of my emerald green eyes.

I scooted closer to the fire. It was so warm. Wait- I didn't start a fire last night. Someone else must have. That meant I wasn't alone anymore! Did daddy and big brother find me? We're they here? Or was it somebody else? Who did this? I jumped up and looked around, eager to see who would give me company. I hated being alone.

Behind me, a small, all black dragon with light green eyes. The dragon tilted its head and stared at me. Dragons ate people, like that one dragon did to my mommy when I was a baby. But this dragon was different. She wasn't mean nor did she growl. Instead, she looked up at me, curiosity and wonder filled in her pretty eyes.

After a minute of studying each other, my stomach growled. I let out a whine from the pain it brought. I always got food when I was hungry. The dragon looked at my stomach then jumped up and left.

"Wait!" I cried, reaching my arm out to its flying, disappearing figure. "Wait," I whispered, slowly putting my arm down. I was alone again. I let out a sob and curled up in a ball, hoping the dragon would return soon.

Luckily for me, I didn't have to wait long. She came flying into the cave and landed next to me.

"You're back!" I jumped up and hugged her. As I said many times before, I hated being alone. I wasn't used to being alone. I always had someone nearby or at my side. Mostly big brother, but at least I wasn't alone. And besides, big brother was the best.

The dragon sounded like she was chuckling, and I stepped back. "Sorry I did that. I was just happy you came back."

She nodded once, and then my stomach growled again. I held my stomach in pain, again. "Ow! I'm hungry." I looked at her and she threw up some fish. Or like half of fish. "Food! Gross, but food!"

She made another fire since the other one died and I cooked my fish then ate it. It was delicious. A bit odd, probably since the dragon threw it up, but delicious.

"Thanks," I said when I couldn't eat one more bite. "That was awesome." I pet her to show my gratitude. To my delight, she started to purr. I liked the sound; it was nice and soothing. We sat in a peaceful silence for a while, the crackling fire and her purring the only obstacles to complete silence.

"Wanna go outside?" I asked, once I decided my food had settled. She answered by jumping up and down, pulling me out of the cave. "Okay, okay, I'm coming. I'm coming," I laughed. I had just filled my stomach, and was full of energy.

We just explored the forest, laughing and running around. Soon, it was lunchtime, and my new friend/ dragon caught some fish. She ate hers raw while I cooked mine.

"What am I going to call you?" I asked, while we let the food settle. She just looked at me. "How about Night, since you're the color of the night?" She frowned and shook her head no. "Okay, how about Midnight?" No. "Shadow?" No. I looked into her green eyes for a minute, then at the ground. I picked a violet and stared at it. "I know! How about Violet?" She copied my smile- showing her gums with no teeth- and nodded. "YAY!" I jumped up. "I am Starfire. I am five years old. I am trying to find my family. Will you help me find them?" She nodded twice. "Yay! Thanks, let's go look for them."

For the rest of the day, we looked. "Daddy! Brother!" I called. We searched for hours with no luck.

Violet got some fish for dinner, flew me back to the cave, and started a fire for me to cook my fish and to keep me warm through the night. After supper, we went to sleep, lying next to each other. She let me use her paw as a pillow and wing as a blanket, and I slept through the night in peace and not alone.

***************

One laugh led me to him. "Gotcha!" I tapped brother's shoulder. "You're it!" I ran to hide somewhere before I was it again. Not that it wouldn't be long before I was it again, anyways. Brother always managed to find me quickly. It was kind of annoying, but I loved hide-n-seek.

This time, we were playing around in the forest nearby our village. Daddy was the busy working and told us to play outside, but to be careful and stay out of others way, so we did: out in the forest.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are," brother sung, nearby my hiding spot, like I would come out. "Where are you, Star? Are you behind here?" He looked behind a tree. "Nope. How about here?" He looked behind another tree. I giggled once. Uh oh. He looked straight at my hiding spot. "Where are you, Star?" He asked, playfully. We both knew that he knew where I was hiding. I held my hand over my mouth in feeble attempts to keep quiet as he walked over. "There you are!" He yelled, grabbing my shoulders.

"Ah! Hahaha!" I screamed, then laughed as he tickled me.

"Oh, cute." A voice said behind me. "The two disappointments are playing with each other. What, the only company you can find?" A girl with blond hair said, small group of kids right behind her. The others laughed at her joke. They were always mean to us, yet we never did anything to them. At least, I don't think we did. What did we do? We were just kids, and big brother and I never played with the mean village kids. I don't remember them ever being nice to us. Only mean.

"------! Star! Where are you?" Daddy called. We barely heard him, but we all did.

"Come on, Star," Brother said. "We need to get going."

"Yeah, go home to your daddy, babies!" One of the kids taunted as Brother and I ran home, away from them.

*****************

I woke at the first light of dawn.

For days, weeks we searched the island for my family. Each day the same routine. Wake, get ready for the day, eat breakfast, play, eat lunch, search, eat supper, sleep. Every time I dreamt, it was of my family, my past. After a while, my dreams started repeating. Every time, I got no names, yet I knew who that person was. Never heard a single name! The only name I ever heard called was mine.

Two months after I got lost, we searched other islands, flying on Violet. She became my best friend and family. I learned that other islands weren't so friendly to dragons, and I had to travel through villages alone while Violet waited in the nearby forest.

Every now and then my dream was about Violet and I from our past, but still most my dreams were of my human family. Sometimes I dreamt of finding them, living as a family again, hopefully they would accept Violet. If they didn't, I don't know what I would do. I guess I would hide her from others and play with her secretly. Maybe Brother would, too. He can keep a secret.

Every day I woke up there was hope of finding them. Every passing day my hope diminished.

Maybe they died. Maybe I'm the only one who survived the storm. Maybe that's why I can't find them. Maybe they gave up finding me. Maybe they're also looking for me. Maybe they hate me because of something I did. Maybe this. Maybe that. All these different thoughts seeped into my mind every day.

What if I never see them again? was the worst of them all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~