Ch. 21- Happy Birthday

Ch. 21- Happy Birthday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Happy birthday!" everyone cheered, startling Hiccup and I. I stumbled back into him, but he stopped us from falling by gripping onto the staircase railing.

"What now?" I asked, confused.

"Happy birthday, Star," dad said, smiling.

"Oh, it's our birthday?" I asked.

"Technically mine's tomorrow," Hiccup admitted. "I just usually celebrate mine a day early, aka: yours."

"Why? Wait, I thought we had the same birthday," I said, confused.

"No, we're a day apart. My birthday just usually doesn't matter but one every four years," he hinted, but I didn't know enough to understand it.

"I don't understand. Why wouldn't your birthday matter but once every four years?"

He chuckled, "Because my birthday is February 29, which only comes on leap years- once every four years. So for three years,  my birthday is celebrated on February 28, your birthday." (AN: Hiccup's birthday is February 29th in the books, so I'm just rolling with it)

I frowned, "I preferred sharing a birthday with you."

He smiled, "Then today shall be my birthday, too. Happy birthday, to both of us."

I smiled. "Happy birthday. I am- Great Odin's ghost- fifteen!"

"Yup, and I am sixteen."

"Wait, so Hiccup's finally celebrating his birthday?" Snoutlout asked.

"Yes," Hiccup cleared.

"You never celebrate your birthday! I didn't get you a gift! A little warning would have been nice," he complained.

The twins agreed, "Yeah, we only got Star a gift."

Astrid chimed in. "Guys, Hiccup didn't celebrate his birthday because Star wasn't here. He even said he would celebrate his birthday once his sister returned."

"Oh."

"Anyways, I don't care about gifts," Hiccup announced. "All I want for my birthday is to spend it with my sister and friends."

"Great, that'll be your gift then!" Snoutlout cheered.

I smiled as everyone gathered around the table. Dad had splurged on a delicious cake for mine and my brother's birthday, and it didn't last an hour with seven teens and a chief.

The rest of the day was spent with my brother and friends. Dad did his chief business and left us be. We had a Dragon Race, a competition on who could do the best trick (which Hiccup won), and we lounged around the Academy, village, and Great Hall.

That evening a feast was held. Everyone wished us 'Happy birthday' and music played cheerfully to the occasion. Dances were danced, stories told, and I was even thrown on stage to tell a part of my tale. It wasn't the first time I had been in front of a crowd to tell a part of my days lost at sea, but it was my first time in front of the entire village.

"Um, I don't know what to say," I admitted. "Any ideas?" I asked the crowd. A few hands went up.

"How about how Violet lost her tail?" Hiccup offered from behind me. "I don't think I've heard that story yet."

The entire village roared with agreement.

I blushed. "Uh, that's not a tale I like to tell. It's my fault, really." But, still, the village demanded the story, so I told them of my mistake, and then Hiccup retold his story of how he met Toothless.

"So, your story isn't as bad as mine, huh?" he challenged.

"Nope, not even close." It was a terrible thing that happened, but it had good consequences. Without Toothless looking his tail, him and Hiccup would have never met, and the village would still be at war with the dragons.

I told a few more stories, then the music went back to spreading its cheer.

That night, I asked dad to tell us our favorite childhood story, for old times sake, and he did. Before he sent us off to bed, he pulled us in a tight hug.

"I'm so glad you're back, Starfire," he admitted.

"I am, too." I smiled, following my brother to our room, where we pushed our beds together and held hands as we entered dream land.

I had found my family. I was home, and I was happy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~