Ch. 6- Little Good Bard

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was searching another village for my family. It's now been four years since the storm that took my family from me. I'm ten years old. I don't search as often anymore- mostly I just play with Violet- but I still search some.

I saw someone selling bread and traded some fish, berries, bags that I made and baskets- which I also made- for seven loaves of bread.

Satisfied with what I traded and having searched the whole village, I was heading back to Violet when someone grabbed the sleeve of my shirt.

Hey!" A little boy said. "Do you have some food?" He was a skinny little kid, about five years old with auburn hair and green eyes. He looked so much like my big brother, but he didn't have freckles and was younger than me.

"Yes. Here you go," I handed him my small pouch full of berries, my other pouch with little pieces of fish, and half a loaf of bread I just traded for.

He beamed at the food. "Thank you!" He gave me a hug.

"Look," a nearby villager whispered to their friend, "she helped the kid."

"He's the one who lost both of his parents, right?"

"Yup. That's him." Both his parents?

"Maybe she'll take him in. He's a good kid, he deserves a good home."

"Who is she anyways? She doesn't look older than ten. Twelve at most."

"Where are your parents?" I asked the boy, ignoring the villagers.

"They're not here anymore."

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Will you be my new momma?" He asked.

"Umm, sure?"

"Yay!" He gave me a hug. "Thank you, new momma!"

"Yup, she took him in," the villager said.

"'New momma'? She's a bit young to be his mom. Who is she, again? I've never seen her before."

"Me either, oh well, she probably just a spoiled kid who stays inside a lot with nothing to do. That's why we don't recognize her." The two walked off.

"What's your name?" I asked the boy.

"Bard. What's yours?"

"Starfire. You can call me Starfire."

"Can I call you Momma?"

"Umm, I'm a bit young to be your Mom," I said, honestly

"Oh," his face fell.

"But that doesn't mean you can't call me that," I said quickly.

"Yay!"

"Come on, Bard," I grabbed his hand and walked to the forest.

"Where we going?"

"Somewhere." When we walked deep enough into the forest I turned around and stood on my knees so I was on the same level as Bard. "Bard, I need you to pay attention, okay?" He nodded once. "Good. Now, I don't live here. I don't live anywhere really, I simply move around a lot, okay?" He nodded again. "Do you still want to stay with me?"

"Of course I do," he said with a smile. He leaned forward a little. "Can I tell you a secret?"

"Yes."

"Okay, follow me," he pulled me through the forest, past the area Violet was waiting at, and to the bottom of a cliff.  "Stay here." He got on all fours and crawled into a small hole. He came out a minute later with a bag. "Amber, come out." Does he have a sister? I asked myself. A red dragon slowly came out of the cave. When it saw me it disappeared. "Don't be frightened, Amber. She's not gonna to hurt us. Don't be scared." I saw the dragon again, then it disappeared, then I could see it again. A Changewing.