Ch. 3- Dreams Of The Past

Ch. 3- Dreams of the Past

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where are we?" I asked Brother as he dragged me through a cave, a torch remained to be the only light source. I stumbled over the back of his boot. "Sorry." I stayed as close to him as I could, stumbling along the way.

"Just follow me," he whispered.

"You know that if we get caught, we will be in big trouble, right?" It was the middle of the night, and we weren't supposed to be outside then, let alone the dangerous woods.

"Don't worry, Star. Everything will be fine."

"But-" He stopped, turned around, looked me in the eyes, and put his hands on my shoulders.

"Star, everything will be fine. Trust me. Now, quickly, this way." He crawled through a hole in the wall. It's like two in the morning, I thought to myself, must we do this now? I yawned. I wanted to go back to sleep.

"Where are we going?" I asked, following him. I slouched over to walk through the tunnel before deciding to just crawl along with him.

"Shh, close your eyes," he whispered, standing up. As I stood up, he warned, "Watch out, Star, you might hit your head on this wall." He patted the wall in front of us, which barely gave us room to stand. "Close your eyes."

I closed my eyes and felt him pulling me by my wrist around the short corner.

"Now, open your eyes."

I couldn't believe what I saw. Everything was... wow. It was night yet the whole room- cave- was lit up, almost like day. Pillows and blankets laid in a corner, a basket next to it. A small box was next to the wall in front of us, a smaller box next to that. A few of our toys that I noticed went missing were in another basket. A few of our drawings were on the wall, not many but still some. Most of the floor was covered in a big blanket. The roof was ice. It was cool in the room- not exactly cold but not warm either.

"What- Where- How?" I stuttered.

"Happy birthday, Star."

"How?" I looked around the room.

"I found it last week. I couldn't sleep and took a walk and ended up outside the hole we just crawled through and in here and... well... you get the idea, and here we are," he rambled.

I ran to give him a hug. "Thank you, ------! I absolutely love it. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love it!" I released him from my hug and took a deep breath. "I love it," I said more calmly.

"You're welcome, Star. I'm glad you like it."

"I don't like it. I love it!"

He chuckled. "I'm glad you love it. It's your birthday present from me to you."

"This is the best present EVER!" I jumped up and screamed. The sound bounced off the walls and hurt our ears.

"Just try not to get too excited," he joked, uncovering his ears.

"Sorry," I whispered. His response was a few chuckles.

"I like- no love- what you gave me for my birthday." He held up his backpack I made full of other small gifts I made him. Our birthday was on the same day, just a year apart. We loved it that way. Dad, Gobber, and a few other people said someday we wouldn't. We didn't believe them though.