Ch. 1- The Beginning

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up with a start. Where was I? I tried to remember something, but couldn't. Then I remembered a storm... and a ship... and huge waves... and daddy... and... and... and my big brother- what's his name? - ... and.... and water. Salt water. I was choking on it. "Starfire!" I remember someone calling. "Starfire!" I recognized that voice. Daddy!

"Starfire!" Another voice. Big Brother!

I need to find daddy and big brother- oh, what's his name?- I thought. I huffed in frustration. How could it be so difficult to remember the names of the two most important people in the archipelago to me? It shouldn't be. I could easily remember what they looked liked, how they laughed, talked, sung lullabies to me, and even how they moved their hands while they spoke, so why couldn't I remember their names to save my own life?

Panic slowly set in. If I couldn't remember their names, how was I to find them? My name is- wait. What is my name? If I couldn't remember my own name, I'd surely never find them! I'm doomed! Why can't I remember--

"Starfire!" I remembered big brother calling, desperate to find me.

Oh, yes! Starfire is my name. The pretty name my late mommy gave to me.

Then my stomach growled. "I need to survive in order to find daddy and big brother," I said to myself. Despite my sore body screaming at me to lie down and sleep, I stood proudly and did my best to wipe the sticky sand off my soaked body. It didn't go so well, so I stopped trying and wandered into the forest to look for anything I could eat. Surely there would be berries or something I could eat. Big brother always pointed out the yummy blue berries I loved to eat. We would walk around for hours in the woods behind our house trying to find more of the yummy berry bushes.

I hoped we would be able to play in the woods together again. I remembered big brother and I played all the time in the woods. Sometimes we'd get in trouble for staying out too late or not telling anyone, but we snuck out. We didn't like being babysat.

"Come on. How hard is it to find some food?" I asked myself, running my hand through my shoulder length auburn hair. "I'm hungry." It wasn't long before night began to quickly cover the sky. Usually, I was home in big brother's bed by now. I hated sleeping by myself, and I was scared of the dark. It was going to be dark soon! What was I going to do? Tears ran down my cheeks as I wondered further into the dense forest, still unable to find food. "I want my daddy! I want my big brother!" I yelled towards the sky. "Where's daddy? Where's big brother?"

I picked up my pace, stumbling around the darkening forest. "Daddy! Big brother!" Nothing. Not even the bugs or the birds called back. All I was greeted with was the eerie silence. Sometimes the wind would shake the branches. "Daddy! Big brother!" I cried out, fearfully. I stepped on a stick and jumped. I was so scared. I hated being alone. I had to hurry up and find daddy or big brother, so I blindly ran off deeper into the forest.

After Thor knows how long, my crying slowed as well as my pace. I was tired at the beginning, but now I was absolutely exhausted. I had long forgotten  (or at least ignored) my growling stomach. I wasn't used to the sound or the empty feeling from not having eaten, and I didn't like it at all. I wanted it to go away. I wanted to be home with big brother, listening to daddy tell us a bed time story.

I walked around aimlessly for a while, my slow but endless crying wearing me out even more- before finding a cave and going inside. I was so tired that I fell asleep before even making a fire to keep myself warm. I could barely take another step. I had tripped and not bothered to stand back up. I just curled into a little ball and let the presence of sleep take over.

*********

I laughed as I ran away from a boy with auburn hair, emerald green eyes, like mine, and freckles. We were both laughing as we ran around the house. I knew the boy and the house. The boy is my big brother. Older by a year. I just forgot his name. And the house was our home. It was where we had lived all our lives, and where I thought we'd always be.

"Starfire! ------!" I could tell daddy was calling my brothers name. I heard sound just not the name. It's hard to explain. I didn't think anything of it.

"Coming, daddy!" Brother called as we ran to the eat super.

After super me and my brother ran around a bit.

"------, Star! Time for bed!" Daddy called. (AN: whenever it says ------- its her brother's name. And she'll call him brother since she forgot his name.)

"Coming, dad!" Brother pulled me by the hand up the stairs to our room. We loved the stories daddy would tell, and I only went without them when he was away on business, whatever that was.

"Daddy!" I yelled as I jumped on his lap. Brother joined me.

"Tell us a story, dad," Brother asked him. We loved his stories, and every night we asked for one.

"Oh, I'm sure you don't want to hear one of my stories boring, old again," daddy teased.

"Yes we do! Yes we do!" Brother and I cheered.

"Alright," he chucked and told us our favorite story about the female viking warrior that caught the eye of the handsome viking chief before tucking us in for bed.

"Night, children," daddy wished.

"Goodnight, daddy," we chorused. He kissed our foreheads and left the room, leaving Brother and I to go to sleep.

"Goodnight, Star," brother said.

"Goodnight, -------," I smiled before falling asleep, in a nice, warm  bed beside my kind, loving brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It gets better, I promise.

Anyways, thanks for reading and I hoped you enjoyed, even if this chapter was short.