Ch. 13- Excitement

Ch. 13- Excitement

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up bright and early, thanks to Violet. Hiccup was sound asleep while Toothless was starting to stir. I yawned but got up anyways, knowing my best friend frowned upon sleeping in, despite the previous late night.

I had been here for a week and a half and was already falling into a pattern in my days. I started breakfast since I was the first to wake and had finished dishing out plates when Stoick, Hiccup's dad and the chief of Berk, plopped down.

"Thanks," he mumbled, staring at me as we ate in silence.

He was always staring at me. Not in a bad "I think you're up to something way" but with a longing look, as if he wanted to say something but couldn't- or wouldn't.

"Um, do- uh," I started.

"Yes? What's on your mind, child?"

I shifted and stared at my plate. "Do I remind you of someone?"

"What?"

"Y- you always stare at me like- like you long to say something to me. I just assumed it was because I looked like someone you loved or knew or something like that. I, uh," I finally managed to look up to find him staring again. "I'll shut up now. I'm sorry. You don't have to answer if you don't want-"

He chuckled, "Relax, Star. You do remind me of someone I lost. Many years ago. Two someone's, in fact. I lost both my daughter and my wife, and you look very similar to them."

My eyes widened. "Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean-"

His heavy laughter cut me off. "Relax, lass. You did nothing wrong. It's not your fault. Thanks for breakfast, dear. It was delicious." With a quick goodbye to both Hiccup and myself, he left.

I turned to Hiccup, only noticing him sitting on the stairs after Stoick addressed him. "How long have you been there?" I asked, nervously.

"I was on my way down when you first tried to ask dad your question. I sat down as he started answering. With how observant you are, I'm surprised you didn't see me," he joked. He sat down in his seat and scarfed down his food in less than two minutes. "Oh Thor, your cooking is the best!"

"Oh, thanks."

"Ready for our morning flight?" he asked, eagerly.

I nodded, "Always."

We ran out the door to find Toothless and Violet playing around. They ran passed us, knocking us over with a, "Whoa!"

"Are you, uh- are you okay?" Hiccup asked, his face hovering over mine. I was sandwiched between the ground and Hiccup.

"Yeah, I think." I paused, waiting for him to move. "We should probably get to that flight," I hinted after a few seconds.

He nodded, nervously. "Yeah. Yup. Yes. Exactly what I was thinking. Get to that flight." He stood up, offering me a hand, too. "Sorry about that."

I shrugged. "It's fine. It's not your fault." I climbed on Violet, and he did the same with Toothless, then we took off.

I felt like going for a fast and rough flight, but Hiccup seemed content with a peaceful flight, so I clamped my mouth shut, making plans to go for my favorite kind of flight later. Staying in one place for so long was making me antsy. The lack of excitement and hard core flights and exploring were making it that much more difficult for not only me but Violet, too.

Hiccup seemed to have noticed, because he has been declining Dragon Racing, regular races, stunt tricks, and other adrenaline causing activities thinking it would help. Sadly, it does the opposite. It probably doesn't help to being used to just Violet and I to suddenly being surrounded by a group of people. And let's not forget, many villagers still stare at Violet and I as we walk through the village. I used to think it was just because of Violet but still being stared at while Violet was off playing with Toothless put that assumption in the trash.