Chapter 9

My neck snapped to the side to fast, I got a crick in my neck. "Hey Jay." I tried to act nonchalant.

"Mikayla, why were you in the Alpha's office?" He asked. I sensed a hint of an accusation.

"I was looking for him." I lied easily.

"Why?" There was less suspicion in voice.

"You know," I pretended to act embarrassed. "He's my mate. We have a little unfinished business. I wanted to talk to him. Y'know tell him I've moved on and that I'm perfectly happy." Lies.

"Aw," Jay pitied me. As much as I hate pity, it works in my favor here.

"Yeah." I sniffled for effect. "It's tough, but I think we both need closure."

He nodded, eating it up.

"I get it. The meeting just finished if you want to talk to him."

"Okay." I had no other choice. If I refused, it would ruin my cover story. "Lead the way."

I followed Jay downstairs reluctantly.

I had a feeling that no matter what happens, my relationship with my brother was never going to be the same.

When we entered the kitchen, Logan was sitting at the counter, drinking a beer. Ryder was sitting at the kitchen nook. He was staring at the table deep in thought. Robert, Ryder's third in command was eating an apple. My mother sat in the corner playing with one of the pack's pups. She was the only woman in the room. Other people I only remembered vaguely. They just wandered around the kitchen, getting a snack after a long, probably boring, meeting. Wolves are almost always hungry.

"Mikky."Logan winked in greeting. Ryder's head snapped up.

"Hey." I smiled at him.

"Jason called."

"Who's Jason?" Demanded Ryder.

I sighed, but answered him anyway. "Jason is Logan's Beta and brother. Him and Logan were the ones to find me in the woods. I was starving and I passed out from exhaustion."

Ryder's eyebrows were scrunched together and he was frowning.

I continued. "Their loud yapping woke me up. I thought they were going to kill me. I was in the weakest state that I have ever been in, but somehow they decided to give me mercy. They brought me to their father and I was almost immediately accepted by them. All of them." I shot a pointed look at Ryder. He looked ashamed of himself. He even bowed his head down slightly. No one but me noticed it, but that's how he wanted it. He wanked me to know that he takes responsibility for what he did.

"Anyway, what did Jason want?" I asked Logan.

"He asked when we were hitting the road. I told him in like ten minutes. We have a bit of a pack... dilemma, so we really need to get going. I hate to end our visit so suddenly, but you know how it is. Pack comes first." Ryder growled, upset that I was leaving, but he was just being a dork so I ignored him.

"Okay. I'm packed already. My suitcase is on my bed. I'll send someone up to get it."

"You'll send someone from my pack?" Ryder seemed more amused than angry or offended.

"Yup." I looked around. "You." I pointed towards a kid who looked around twelve. "Please, grab my suit case and carefully load it into my SUV." I used my Alpha voice. The kid immediately did as he was told.

"I'll be in the car." I didn't want to say goodbye to anyone. It's just too much.

"Wait, didn't you want to talk to the Alpha?" Asked Jay.