(40) Crash Car Burn

Crash Car Burn

Chapter 40

Aiden’s POV

Everybody was quiet as we took our seats around the table. Jamie’s Dad choosing to sit across from me and his mom taking a seat opposite Jamie. I felt completely out of place and I could tell that Jamie was freaking out slightly. He was trying to act normal but I knew him far too good to be fooled.

Emma sat down at the end of the table so that she was kind of between Jamie and their mother.  She had a huge smile on her face and her parents kept on glancing at her, probably wondering why her mood had changed so suddenly. I was just relieved that she is getting better and that she is supportive of me and Jamie.

“Jamie,” his mom said as she took a hold of the salad bowl in front of her. Jamie didn’t answer. His mom dished up some salad for herself and then passed the bowl to his father before looking straight at him, almost as if she thought he would be able to see her.

“Jamie, I’m talking to you,” she said sternly.

“Yes mom,” he replied uncomfortably.

“You wanted to tell us something,” she stated.

“Uhm… yeah…” Jamie stuttered and it took all of my strength not to pull him into my arms. I hate seeing him like this. He shouldn’t be stressing or having to deal with all of this pressure.

“I can tell them,” I said softly from beside him, earning me a glare from both his parents.

“No, I need to do this,” Jamie replied with a slight nervous smile.

“Do what?” his dad asked impatiently.

“I’m gay,” Jamie blurted out from beside me, his bluntness surprising me a little.

“What?” his dad demanded from across the table as he jerked to his feet.

Shit.

“I’m gay,” Jamie said again, his voice quivering. This is not good, not good at all. His father looked pissed, almost deadly. His mom was shocked into silence, her eyes unable to focus on one of them as she tried to process what was happening and Emma wasn’t smiling anymore. She looked nervous and I am sure the expression on my face wasn’t any better. This is exactly what I didn’t want to happen.

“I heard that the first time!” Jamie’s dad shouted as his fist connected with the table, causing the glass of water in front of him to topple over and spill its content over the table. I knew that I had to stay calm but my need to protect Jamie took over as I pushed myself to my feet, needing to put myself in between them in case things got out of hand.

His dad’s head whipped toward me as I stood up and I could hear Emma sucking in her breath. The thought that I possible just made everything worse crossed my mind but my first priority is Jamie and I wasn’t going to let anybody talk to him like that.

“Sit down,” his mom said as she grabbed a hold of his dad’s arm and tried to pull him back into his seat. She looked terrified but her attempt at calming the situation wasn’t helping.

“Not now,” he said, shrugging off her hands, his eyes never leaving mine.

“This is all you’re doing,” he stated, his voice loathing.

“No it’s not!” Jamie yelled from beside me, panicked to the point that all I wanted to do was scoop him up into my arms and leave but I couldn’t do that. The situation was too far gone and now we had to deal with it.

“You corrupted him,” he said, challenging me to deny it but I couldn’t.

“He did not such thing,” Jamie stated but his dad paid no attention to him.

“Sit down,” his mother complained, tugging on his dad’s arm again.

“I knew we shouldn’t have left him alone with you. Haven’t you done enough damage already?” his father asked, ignoring his mom and causing my insides to twist with guilt. I have destroyed their family and mine but I am not trying to hurt anybody. I love Jamie more than I could ever explain.

I didn’t know what to say, how to respond. His words were still running through my mind when Emma spoke up.

“That’s enough dad,” she said, her voice was calm but somehow managed to pull his attention away from me.

“Stay out of this Emma,” he said softly and then turned his attention back to me. I had a feeling this was not going to end well.

“Why? Why did you have to do this? Why couldn’t you just leave him alone? Isn’t it enough that you blinded him?” his dad asked but I couldn’t get myself to look at him, my eyes were focused on Jamie. He had slouched forward, holding his head in both his hands.

“I know what I’ve done and I hate myself for it but look at what you are doing now,” I stated as I crouched down beside Jamie.

“I didn’t do this. Don’t you dare try to blame this on anyone but yourself,” his father said, his voice furious but I couldn’t care.

“Jamie,” I whispered from beside him, placing my hands over his and slowly pulling them away from his head.

“My head, I can’t take this,” he said softly as he turned toward me in his chair.

“Leave him alone,” Jamie’s father demanded and from the corner of my eye I could see him making his way around the table.

“Aiden,” Jamie whispered as he moved forward, leaning his head against my shoulder.

“I’m right here,” I replied, taking a hold of his arms to steady him.

“Dad! Don’t!” I heard Emma cry and then I felt two hands grabbing me from behind and pulling me back. It happened so fast that I couldn’t do anything, I toppled backwards and landed on my back, crashing into the table, causing dishes to fall and break. The sound was deafening in the eerily silent room and then Jamie’s mom’s screams filled the silence.

As I was pulled back I let go of Jamie, not wanting to pull him down with me but he was already off balance and I couldn’t stop him from falling forward. Luckily he managed to catch himself before his head hit the ground but the panicked and confused look on his face was more than I could take.

“Look at what your fucken doing!” I yelled as I pushed myself to my feet and spun around to face his father.

“I didn’t…” he started saying but I cut him off, having had enough of his bullshit.

“Don’t you dare blame this on me! Can’t you see what you are doing to him? The way you talk to him, the way you treat him. He isn’t a baby anymore! He can make his own decisions,” I yelled as I took another step toward him.

“Aiden,” Emma said from behind me, pulling me out of my rage.

“Yeah,” I stated as I turned around and focused my attention on Jamie, forgetting about his dad who actually looked terrified once I started yelling back.

“You should get him out of here,” she said from where she was kneeling beside Jamie. He had his head in his hands again and was shaking profusely. His mom was standing over them, looking horrified but didn’t say anything as I bent down and lifted Jamie into my arms.  He grabbed a hold of me immediately and snuggled his head into the crook between my shoulder and neck as I carried him out of the kitchen and up the stairs to his room.