(35) Crash Car Burn

Crash Car Burn

Chapter 35

Jamie’s POV

I woke in Aiden’s arms, the memories of what we did earlier flooding my mind and causing me to blush. It was out of this world. The sensations that ran through my body were unimaginable. I was still naked and Aiden was holding onto me tightly. I softly untangled myself from his arms and got off of the bed to find my clothes.

When I was fully dressed again I went to the bathroom and then made my way to the kitchen.  My throat was dry and I needed something to drink. I grabbed a glass of water and slowly made my way back to my room, being careful not to fall and break the glass. I didn’t want to wake anybody or cause any unnecessary drama.

“Jamie,” I heard Emma’s voice whisper as I passed her bedroom door. My heart caught in my throat and I turned towards her. I haven’t really spoken to her since she’s returned.

“Yeah,” I whispered in return, still not wanting to wake anybody.

“Can we talk?” she asked, sounding a bit nervous.

“Sure,” I replied, wondering what she wanted to talk about as I followed her into her room.

“What’s the time?” I questioned as I sat down on the edge of her bed.

“Twenty past twelve,” she replied and then an awkward silence filled the room.

I had no idea what she wanted to talk about but I knew at some point we would have to talk. Say all the things that needed to be said. She didn’t deal well with the accident and soon after my parents sent her away so we never really talked about any of it.

“I’m sorry that I left,” Emma said, her words surprising me. I thought she was going to be angry because I am hanging around Aiden.

“You’ve got nothing to be sorry for, people deal with things differently.”

“I know but still, I shouldn’t have left, I should have been here for you,” she stated, her voice cracking slightly.

“It’s okay. I’m okay,” I replied truthfully.

“It’s weird though, I mean, you’re the one who’s…” she started saying but trailed off.

“Blind,” I completed her sentence for her.

“Yeah and you are okay but I can’t seem to deal with it even though I am perfectly healthy. I don’t even have a scratch on me from that night,” she stated, almost as if she felt guilty for coming out of the accident unharmed.

“You lost your best friend, that is a lot to deal with,” I said in her defence, knowing how close she and Katherine were. I missed her a lot in the beginning too and sometimes I still do but I had to accept that she is gone even if I didn’t want to. I know Liam battled in the beginning after her death as well. He never cried though, he just became angrier and angrier.

“How is Liam doing?” she asked, changing the focus of the conversation.

“He’s angry and he really missed you a lot,” I answered honestly.

“I missed him too,” she said and then there was another long awkward silence.

“He hasn’t forgiven Aiden,” she stated.

“No,” I simply answered.

“You have though.”

“It wasn’t his fault, we all know that,” I replied a little more harshly than I intended. I hate the fact that everybody blames him for something that was out of his control.

“I know, I never blamed him. I just didn’t know how to deal with everything. Even talking to you like this is difficult. It’s hard to look at you,” she stuttered and I could tell that she was fighting away her tears.

“You don’t have to feel bad for me, I’m okay. In fact I am happier than I’ve ever been,” I replied before I could stop myself.

“You are? How?” she questioned sounding confused.

I had no idea what to say but I couldn’t tell her the truth. Aiden and I have to do that together.

“It’s hard to explain but trust me when I say you don’t have to worry about me. I’m fine so concentrate on getting better and being happy,” I finally answered.

“But…” she started objecting.

“No but’s. Learn to be happy again,” I instructed as I stood up from her bed. I needed to get back to Aiden.

Emma tried objecting some more but I wasn’t giving in and finally managed to slip away. It was good to talk to her again and it seemed like she was getting better but it was still awkward and nerve wrecking.

I felt my body relax as soon as I was back in my room and locked the door behind me. My mouth was strangely dry even though I drank the entire glass of water while I was in Emma’s room. I wasn’t going back to the kitchen so I made my way to the bathroom, drank a few sips from the tap and then tiptoed to my bed, not wanting to wake Aiden.

I wasn’t really feeling tired but I crawled in next to Aiden and wrapped my arms around him as I rested my head on his chest.

“Are you okay?” Aiden asked, his voice soft but still taking me by surprise.

“Yeah, I didn’t mean to wake you,” I answered as he hugged me tighter to him.

“I woke up the minute you left my arms,” he whispered in reply.

“I’m sorry, I needed a drink and then Emma wanted to talk.”

“I know, I heard you going into her room,” he replied as he gently stoked his fingers through my hair. It felt really good and pictures of what we did earlier re-entered my mind. The slightest touch of his hands can cause my body to go into overdrive.

“She’s not angry at you,” I stated, hoping it would somehow help Aiden to get rid of some of the guilt he is carrying with him.

“Not?” he questioned, sounding surprised.

“No, she is just finding it difficult to deal with everything but I think she’ll get better now that she is back home,” I replied, enjoying the feeling of his fingers in my hair.

“I honestly hope so,” Aiden stated and then drifted back to sleep. I laid in his arms for a long time before I fell asleep but I was content just being held by him. I felt safe and loved and there is nowhere else I would rather be.