(7) Crash Car Burn

Crash Car Burn

Chapter 7

Aiden’s POV

I have never felt so happy in my entire life. Jamie wanted to be friends. He doesn’t hate me.

“I don’t understand why you don’t hate me but thank you,” I said and I could feel my eyes starting to burn.

“What happened wasn’t your fault Aiden, It was an accident. If anybody is to blame it’s the guy who skipped the traffic light,” Jamie said bringing back the memories of what happened that night.

Everything was going great, we were all at a party and I was determined to tell Jamie how I feel about him. We had spent the whole night together, joking drinking and just having fun. His little sister as well as mine and Liam were there with us. It was Emma and Katherine’s first high school party and Liam spent the night drooling after Emma.

It was long after one in the morning when we all decided it was time to go home. We were all going to spend the night at me and Liam’s house and I was honelty having the time of my life. I was seriously nervous about telling Jamie about my feelings but I was convinced that it was the right time to do it. Jamie was sitting in front next to me with Liam, Emma and Katherine in the back. We were all laughing and joking when I saw the other car from the corner of my eye. The light was green for us but he just kept on coming and I couldn’t stop in time. I tried but he went right into us, causing my car to skid across the road, hitting the barrier on the other side and flipping. It rolled a few time before it came to a stop, lying upside down.

I can still smell the gasoline and hear the screams as if it happened yesterday. It all happened so fast but every detail is sketched into my mind. The sight of Jamie as he hung unconscious from his seatbelt. The blood dripping from his face. The glass from the window sticking from his forehad and eyes.

I remember yelling that everybody must get out of the car and then somehow managed to loosen my seatbelt and slip out of the front window. Liam had gotten out too and was helping Emma who was sitting in the middle between him and Katherine. I smell of the gasoline got stronger and I watched as the hood of the car burst into flames. It was weird because it didn’t explode like in the movies, it just caught a light, but I knew it wasn’t going to be long before it did explode and I had to get Jamie out of the car. My leg hurt like crap from the impact but I ran around the car and somehow managed to pull his unconscious body from the car before it exploded.

“Aiden,” Jamie whispered from beside me, pulling me back to reality and making me realize that I was crying.

“I never should have drunk, I knew I had to drive home,”I managed to say through the tears.

“It’s not your fault,” Jamie said again and then took my by surprise as he put his hand on my shoulder. The sudden contact felt soothing but at the same time it caused me to cry even harder. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever expect him to forgive me.

“You don’t have to feel guilty anymore, I don’t blame you and you shouldn’t blame yourself,” Jamie said as he moved closer and wrapped his arms around me in a hug.  I hugged him back and let him cofmfort me. It was weird,him being the one to comfort me but it felt good to just cry and let it all out. It felt good to be in his arms as well but Ipushed that thogh out of my mind as soon as it entered. It is enough that he doesn’t hate me and want to be friends. I can never tell him how I feel about him, I can’t risk losing him again.

When I finally managed to pull myself together I moved out of Jamie’s arms and watched him carefully.  He is so beautiful, even now with his slightly clouded eyes and scars running across his forehead. Usually a person can’t see them because of his shaggy blonde hair covering them but it was very visible right now.

I could feel myself getting angry again as I watched him but I pushed the feeling aside. I couldn’t freak out again, he’ll think I’m some kind of idiot or something so instead I got up and pulled myself together.

“You need to get some sleep and I should probably get going,” I said, not wanting to ever leave but not wanting to take his forgiving me for granted.

“Ok but I was kind of hoping you would stay,” he said, his voice sounding slightly hesitant.

“Of course I can stay I just thought you’d want some privacy,” I replied trying to contain my happiness.

“I only said that to Liam because he can get really overbearing at times and I wanted to talk to you,”
“I thought you like spending time with him,” I stated but it sounded more like a question.

“I do but he is a bit over protective and sometimes I just want to hit him over the head and tell him to back off,” Jamie replied, laughing.

“I wouldn’t blame you if you do, in fact I’ll hold him for you if you want,” I said, obviously joking.

“I might just take you up on that offer if he doesn’t start to relax,” Jamie said and I felt my insides flutter. It felt like the old days when I could just chat and hang out with him. It felt amazing and for the first time since the accident I felt hope that everything might just be ok.  It will never be perfect and I will always hate myself for what I did but this is my chance to make up for what I did and there is no way I am screwing it up. I love Jamie way too much to do that and I am going to do everything I can to make sure he is happy.