(8) Crash Car Burn

Crash Car Burn

Chapter 8

Jamie’s POV

I woke to the sound of something braking downstairs and then Aiden cursing. I smiled to myself as I sat up and stretched out my arms. Aiden had stayed over last night and at the end of our conversation it almost felt like old times again. I hate the fact that he blames himself for what happened but I think he started forgiving himself last night. He needs to forgive himself, what happened wasn’t his fault and he’ll never be able to be happy with all that guilt his feeling bundled inside of him. I heard some more cluttering and decided to go check on him, not literally since I can’t see but I wanted to make sure he doesn’t break down the house.

I made my way downstairs and followed the noise to the kitchen.

“What are you doing?” I asked when I reached the door and I heard something else crash to the floor.

“Shit! Sorry,” he half yelled and I wish I could have seen the look on his face. I think I gave him one hell of a fright. I started laughing at him and I could hear him walking closer as I did this.

“It’s not funny, I’m absolutely useless in a kitchen,” he complained but from the tone of his voice I knew he was smiling.

“Oh yes it is,” I said sarcastically causing him to join in with my laughter.

“What were you trying to do anyway?” I questioned when we finally stopped laughing.

“I wanted to make breakfast but I think we are going to have to settle for cereal,” Aiden answered

“That’s cool but please tell me if the path is clear or if I’m going to break my neck if I try to enter,” I replied, referring to the kitchen floor.

“It’s clear but the sink looks like a dump,” Aiden replied making me laugh again. Yes, this was definitely like the old days and I was loving every second of it.

“Maybe you should just take a seat, I think it will be safer that way,” I said, only half joking.

“I can make cereal without breaking something,” Aiden replied, trying to sound offended but I knew he was still joking.

“I’m not taking any chances, now sit down and watch an expert at work,” I instructed.

”Ok, but I don’t like this one little bit,” Aiden agreed reluctantly.

“I may be blind but I can still make breakfast,” I stated as I felt my way to the cupboard and took out two bowls.

“I… I’m sorry. I didn’t mean it like that,” Aiden stuttered from where he was sitting, causing my heart to sink in my chest. I didn’t want to upset him all over again, not now that things were finally starting to get better.

“I was joking Aiden, just relax and eat up,” I said as I grabbed the two bowl which I had now filled with cereal and sugar as well as the milk from the fridge and made my way over to the table. I placed them down and took a seat opposite of him.

“You weren’t kidding,” Aiden said as he pulled one of the bowls closer to him.

“About what?” I questioned

“You really are an expert, I can’t even make cereal without messing up the whole kitchen,” he answered and the mood automatically changed back to the lighter more funny and careless one from earlier.

We were just done eating and Aiden insisted on cleaning up when the doorbell rang.

“Shit,” I complained, knowing who it was.

“Do you want me to get it?” Aiden asked, obviously knowing as well.

“No, I don’t think that’s such a good idea, stay here, let me talk to him,” I said as I pushed myself to my feet and made my way to the front door.

I really wasn’t in the mood to talk to Liam right now.  He is going to freak out and cause all sort of fights and arguments about Aiden spending the night and there was no way I can hide that fact since his car is still standing in the driveway. I didn’t want to hide it though, Liam is going to have to accept the fact that Aiden and I are friends and that he can’t change it, I just don’t feel like arguing with him about it right now. He rang the doorbell again and I took a deep breath to calm my nerves before opening the door.

“He’s still here?” Liam asked, his voice dripping with venom.

“Yes,” I replied, standing my ground so that he couldn’t enter.

“Why?”

“Because I asked him to stay, we had a lot to talk about,” I replied honestly. This whole thing was getting old, it is time that Liam accepts what happened and stop blaming Aiden.

“He killed Katherine, blinded you and it’s his fault that your parents sent Emma away! What is there to talk about?” Liam yelled, his angered voice filling with emotion.

“It wasn’t his fault and you know that, you have to stop blaming him,” I said, trying to stay calm.

“He shouldn’t have been drinking. He should have stopped!” Liam yelled.

“No, the other car should have stopped, the light was green for us and as far as I can remember we were all drinking,” I stated, trying to get through to him.

“He should have known better, he was the one driving,” Liam replied but he wasn’t yelling anymore which I took as a good sign but I knew it was going to take a lot more to get him to admit the truth. Liam is very stubborn when he wants to be.

There was a long silence before he spoke again.

“Call me when he’s gone,” he said, I didn’t reply, I just stood there wondering what the hell I am supposed to do.

“He’s gone,” Aiden said from behind me but it didn’t take me by surprise. I knew he was there. He arrived just after Liam turned around and walked away. I’ve gotten really good at hearing things and knowing what they meant since I lost my sight, I guess I didn’t have much of a choice.

“I know,” I replied, taking a step back and closing the door.

“I’ll go now if you want me to,” Aiden said, his voice cracking slightly, letting me know that he wasn’t really fond of the idea and to be honest I wasn’t ready to let him go yet. I’ve missed him way to much over the last year and I was scared that if he left things would go back to how they were and I really didn’t want that.