Chapter 32

Payton had only two days left to convince Joshua that Grace was either to ill to go to church or to fragile. She had tried to explain to him that she needed to nurse her. He had assured her she could ride along. Payton refused and so he told her they could find something to make due until they got home. Next Payton told him that she was still colicky and the crowd of people would make her nervous and her colic would be made worse. Joshua only shook his head and said, "If she cries, I'll take her out until she's calm and then we'll come back in. She'll have to get used to it."

Payton had exhausted every excuse she could come up with. She even tried to lie. "I heard that whooping cough was going around. I don't want her exposed." to which Joshua had replied, "Oh, really? Pray tell, whom did you hear this from. I haven't seen a visitor for you since Mrs. Banks... Besides she'll be exposed by the other children we can't keep them away from her." He had shook it off and went back to doing whatever he had been doing. Payton had ground her teeth and marched off. She didn't see the smirk Joshua had on his face as he watched her walk away. He knew God was working on her double time, the devil to and that thought wiped the smirk from his face. So, as he had done ever day that week, when Payton had come to him with an excuse and stormed off he had went to pray that God would prepare him for the next excuse to come. He was sure his wife wouldn't give up even as he was driving off to church. He just hoped she would be climbing into the wagon with him. He was determined to stick to his guns though and take the baby even if her mother chose to stay behind.

Payton was pacing back and forth in the sitting room. Grace was down for a nap as was Hannah and Nate. She held her apron in her hands and wrung it as she paced. Her mind was racing. Grasping for any excuse she had not yet used. She sighed and sat down on the settee. She felt defeated and a tear slipped down her cheek and then another before she knew it she sat alone crying. Her apron still clutched in her hands now resting in her lap.

She was so caught up in her own thoughts she didn't hear the door open or little Tommy scampering across the floor. He stopped when he saw his ma sitting on the couch crying. "Ma!" he said alarmed, "What's wrong?" he ran to her and  stood inches from her. Concern written on his face.

"Oh, just having silly thoughts!" she told him trying to smile.

"Are they happy tears or sad tears?" he asked.

Payton decided to lie. "Happy tears of course!" she smiled at him.

Tommy sighed heavily and then fell onto the couch next to her. "Whew!" he said wiping his hand across his brow, "I'm glad! I was scared you was hurt or sad." he looked up at her, "What kind of happy tears are they, ma?"

So caught off guard by his questions she stammered, "Oh, uh... I uh... I uh... I was just... thinking... of... " she looked around the room and her eyes settled back on him, "Of you." she said with a smile, "and your brother and sisters! How happy I am for each one of you."

Tommy smiled, "You are?"

"Of course silly!" she said tickling him just enough to produce a short, soft laugh.

He smiled up at her, "Are you more glad for Grace than any of the rest of us ma?" Tommy asked very serious.

"Why would you ask a thing like that, Tommy. I love you all the same and am thankful for each one of you."

He shrugged his shoulders, "I don't know... I guess cause you know Grace is special."

"Who told you that?" she demanded in a more stern voice than she meant. She smiled at him to soften her question.

"Uh... uh, Pa and Grammy Doris..." he said nervous... "I'm sorry ma, Grammy Doris said we wasn't s'pose to say nothin' yet... cause you might not know..."