Chapter 16

The room started spinning. Joshua blinked twice to try and right it but still he felt nausious. He placed a hand on the wall to steady himself, afraid that he might faint.

Payton started to giggle. The pain was easing off and Joshua's face was just too funny. He was white as a sheet and his eyes, now closed, had looked wild when she told him it was time. She could him swallowing back bile, trying not to throw up. To beat it all he was holding on to the wall and she was sure if he wasn't he would have been in the floor.

Finally he opened his eyes, his stomach a little calmer. "How can you laugh at a time like this?" he barked.

"I'm sorry, dear. You just look so...." another fit of giggles bubbled up from inside of her. After a full minute of laughing she caught her breath and took control of her feelings. "Joshua, you look like the one about to give birth." she told him covering her smile with her hand.

Joshua did not smile at he. He looked at her through half closed eyes. His jaw was tight and his color was still missing. "I son't know how you can be so calm... AND LAUGHING!"

Payton placed a hand on his shoulder, "I have peace. Besides, there is no reason to get upset. I knew this day was coming. Now it's just a matter of waiting on. The. Baby...." Suddenly she gripped his shoulder digging her fingers into his shirt and flesh. She held on to him as pain wracked her body. She tried to breath as the pain took control of her. Just as quickly as it came it started to let up.

When she had released him, Joshua said, "I'm going to get Doris!"

Payton nodded, "Yes, I think you should."

Joshua left the room turning once to make sure she was still standing and okay before he shot out of the house. Payton imagined he ran across the yard to Doris and as quickly as they returned she assumed he dragged her back.

Doris and Joshua both entered the kitchen breathless. "Joshua says you're ready?" Doris asked looking into Payton's face.

"Well, weather I am or not the baby is." she told her.

Doris walked over to the expectant mother and placed her arm around her. She started walking her toward the dining room and then the stairs, speaking to her as she did so. "Well, I'll need to check and see where you are at. We'll need to send Joshua after Maddie May and the children to Malissia...." They were at the foot of the stairs and another pain ripped through her. This one was much harder than the others and lasted longer. Joshua stepped forwards and supported her weight. Nate, who had been playing there just moments before watched his mother with a frightened expression.

 Doris noticed him and smiled at the child. "She's going to be okay." she told him. "She's just got a belly ache."

Nate nodded his head up and down as if he understood but his eyes never left Payton. When the pain was gone Payton tried to smile at Nate. "I'm okay." she said and motioned for him to come to her. Nate did so hesitantly. When he finally was at her feet she bent over to pick him up. Joshua scooped him up in his arms first and held him up to Payton. "Mommy's okay." she told him with a kiss placed on his forehead, "I'm just going to go lie down for a bit. Do you want to go see Malissia and James?" she asked.

Nate shook his head from side to side to indicate that he did not want to go see Malissia and James.

Payton laughed, "Oh, baby. I'll be fine and maybe God will have sent us a surprise when you return." She kissed him once more. Then told the two adults, "I'm starting another....Joshua take him...." she said trying to control her voice.

Joshua understood she didn't want him frightened any more than he already was so Joshua took him to the dining room and called Jed over to sit with him. He winked and smiled at Nate befroe dashing off to the stair case again. The pain was just letting up when he returned.