Chapter 9

The rains had all but quit and the sun was shining more often but a bitter cold had settled over the land. Joshua had ordered the lumber for the new house and had taken the time to start framing it. Payton watched from the cabin as her own home was being constructed in front of her very eyes. She pulled herself away from the sight of her husband nailing together two boards and went back to the stove to stir the pot of noodles she would serve for supper. She put her hands in front of the stove and smiled thinking of the new house and the warmth of a fireplace in each room. Of course more fires would mean more time Joshua would have to spend in the woods chopping fire wood.

She sighed wondering if things would ever slow down. A yawn made it's way to her lips and she covered it with her hand. The children were all asleep on the other side of the house and she decided to go and check on them. She checked the noodles one last time and wrapped a shawl around her shoulders before bracing herself for the cold that would engulf her. It took her breath away just the few steps across the breezeway. Oh, yes the new house would be so nice, She decided.

The three children were all still sleeping and so she lay down on the bed beside Tommy and Hannah. She couldn't shake this exhaustion she had been feeling for the past two weeks. It had started around the same time Joshua started building the house. She was sure it was all the stress and long days they were putting in. Just watching him work was exhausting. She yawned again and let her eyes drift close. She wouldn't sleep just rest here a moment.

Joshua found them all asleep on the children's bed. He smiled. It was a beautiful sight. Payton would never let on to him that she was tired but he knew she had been doing extra getting ready for their Christmas. They had celebrated Thanksgiving with Doris who wasn't coping very well with her loss. Joshua had grown worried about the older lady. He heard a noise in his and Payton's bedroom and found Nate sitting up in his crib rubbing his eyes. His cheeks were red with heat and his eyes swollen from sleep. Blond curls were growing thicker on his round head. He pointed at Joshua and cooed with a huge smile makig its way from his rounded lips to his deep blue eyes. Joshua walked over and lifted him from the bed.

"Shhh," he whispered then pointed to the bed where the three slept, "They're sleeping." he told the baby who laughed. "I think we better go over to the other side before you wake them up." he told the boy and took the baby quilt in his bed and threw it around him and over his head. He quickly darted across the walk way and into the other room.

The noodles were simmering on the stove and his stomach growled. He was hungry but was sure Payton and the children would be up soon. He walked over and stirred the pot. Nate reach out his hand. "I know it smells delicious." Joshua told him. Nate babbled and then wanted down to play with Jed who was asleep on the rug at Joshua's feet. "Okay, okay..." he told him letting him slide to the floor.

The baby crawled all over the dog and pulled on his ears. He even put one in his mouth and chewed on it. Joshua laughed, knowing if Payton were here to see this she would squeal. "You go on and enjoy that dog ear." he told his son, "I don't mind and neither does Jed."

The dog looked up at him with sad, red-rimmed eyes and moaned. Then lay his head back on the rug and let the baby use him as his own person chew toy.

Joshua poured himself a cup of coffee and sat down in the chair to watch the baby and dog.

Payton woke with a start and sat up in the bed. She touched her hair it had fallen loose from its bun and was now hiding part of her face. She quickly put her hands to it and had it fixed in no time. She wasn't sure if she should wake the children. They were still sleeping so soundly and she wasn't sure how long they had even been asleep. She walked over to the doorway to check on Nate, who had been sleeping in his own crib.