One Thing Leads to Another

EEEEEEE
THANKS FOR 22K AND 900 VOTES EEEEEE

The last thing you remembered was the smell of Brendon's cologne, the touch of his hand on your shoulder, and the smile upon his lips as he wished you goodbye. You recalled saying goodbye, as well, but quietly, and you weren't sure if he even heard it. And that bugged and nagged at you until you practically wiped it from your memory.

Since he left, you went out with Sam more often. Your bond deepened and eventually he asked you out, to which you agreed. Your dates were regular, but your schedule never returned to how it felt when Brendon was there. You tried not to think about it.

You shouldn't think about Brendon. It's been a few months and your graduation is in two days already. The affection you felt for Brendon was only because you're a fan, you told yourself. Think about graduation, think about how much you've accomplished in school.

Tonight you had a date at Sam's apartment, and you were excited. You liked to hang out with him, it was always really fun. It was somewhat a pre-congratulations for your graduation, but in reality you weren't planning on this being your last year in college. You went to a community college to get the basics, and now you're planning on going to a better college to truly pursue your dream. Because your second college wouldn't be a community college, you'd have to be farther away from your friends and Sam.You didn't even know where you wanted to go, but you were excited and simultaneously you weren't looking forward to it.

Soon, the time to go to Sam's rolled around, and you walked out of your apartment, rain falling from the clouds and beating down on your umbrella. It patted down on the pavement in thick, round intervals and clouded your sight. Through the rain that shielded your view like fog, two lights peeked through and you knew that a car was near. It was parked, however, but on nonetheless.

As you approached, a figured stepped out of the car and walked in front of you. No umbrella, just a stylish jacket.

It was Alice, no doubt, and her brown hair curled up more from the humidity and wrapped around her chin.

"[Y/n]." Was all she said as she looked at you. You stopped walking.

"Why are you here, Alice?" You see enough of her at work and there's nothing off the top of your head that you can think of that she would need you for.

"I need to talk to you."

"I'm going to Sam's right now. Can it wait?"

"I'll drive you." She was trying what ever she needed to get time with you.

"How will I get back? I'm not going to make him drive me home."

"I'll pick you up, I just need to talk to you in person." She curled her wet hair around her finger and pushed some of it back.

You sighed. "Fine, but I'll be sure to pay you back."

"You don't have to." Smiling, Alice hopped in her car and pulled out a towel to dry herself off with and, as you sat down, offered you one, too. You declined the offer. You used an umbrella, after all.

Alice started her car, and for a few minutes you both sat in silence. Eventually, someone had to speak.

"So, you're graduating in two days? How exciting!"

You nodded.

"I was talking to Brendon. He told me to congratulate you."

You nodded again. "That shouldn't be his business anymore."

Alice remained quiet with a frown.

"But tell him I said thank you."

Instead of responding to that, she said, "He's working on his new album now."

"How fun-"

"[Y/n] do you miss Brendon?"

You blinked a few times. "It would be a lie to say I didn't."

Alice nodded over and over and you thought her brain would roll out of her head. "I knew it."

"You knew what?"

"Oh, nothing. How are things with you and Sam?"

"Good. He's fun to hang out with. We always have a good time."

Alice's smiled wide. "Good, good."

Why was she getting so excited? What's going on? "Is that all you wanted to talk to me about?"

Alice was in thought for a minute. "Yeah, sort of? I didn't really know what I needed to talk to you about, I just know I needed to talk about something."

"Okay?" You went back to staring at the rain, not thinking about anything in particular.

When Alice pulled up at Sam's apartment, you jumped out of the car, said goodbye, and she left with a quick, "Take care," and pulled out her phone to make a call almost immediately. You shrugged it off and went to knock on Sam's door.

He answered with a smile and welcomed you in, your favorite candies set out on his coffee table and you ran over to his couch and instantaneously started eating them.

Laughing, he sat down next to you. A fair distance away, that was the way the both of you liked it. The whole night you watched movies and hung out, and at one point you even threw candy at him, resulting in a food fight.

You couldn't wait for your graduation now. It was a celebration of your achievements. Everything that you have lived up for. But it was not the end, definitely.

Not a single mention of Brendon was brought up. Just you, Sam, and the occasional mention of Kassidy. And that was very nice, but very, very empty.

Even without the presence of him in this city you felt jolted out of place. You felt hollow. You were missing something.

AYYYYY THIS CHAPTER IS LATE I AM SORRY I WAS SO BUSY ;-;-;

Anyway next chapter is going to be the last :00000 there will be another mini chapter after it, though, but it will be published on the same day.

This book has come so far and I'm so glad to have all of you guys as readers ;-;-;-;;-;

Please vote that would be much appreciated! :)