Problems

Let me start off by throwing streamers and vinyl records to everyone because 2k reads!!! And the reads keep drastically increasing everyday! So many people have also been adding this story to their reading lists, so thank you!!

Also, 100 votes! Thank you so much for hitting that vote button, it always makes me smile to see someone voted!!

Anyway, onto the story for you guys ;)

You felt a mix of eagerness and calmness. It was where you felt like you needed to get to work to talk to Alice, but believed somewhere inside you that it wouldn't make a difference and you wouldn't get any information. Maybe he had had enough of you already and that was the only reason he stopped coming to see you.

You at least needed to know who that person yelling at him was. It may have been curiosity, or just the need to have someone to blame for not getting to hang out with Brendon.

You admit you had arrived to work a little early, but at the same time it was such an insignificant time away from when you actually needed to be at work. Only 6 minutes early, exactly, and most people were already there anyway.

Of course Alice wouldn't be here, though. She always came exactly on time. So much it was almost scary.

"Hey, [y/n]!"

You turned your head to see Sam. He waved at you and you waved back, but you realized his wave was actually a signal telling you, "Come here."

You made your way over and leaned up against the counter. "What's up, Sam?"

"You need to prepare for your shift. At least put the rest of your uniform on," he laughed.

You had forgotten your apron this morning with all of your thinking about approaching Alice. You weren't even sure why the aprons were needed. News flash: they weren't. They were probably a style thing to make the cafe seem more homey. "Sorry, seems I forgot the rest of my uniform." You threw your hands up, not actually caring.

"Sweet. No one will give a shit."

You gave him an OK sign, and soon Alice walked in. Exactly on time.

"Oh, hey Alice. I kinda need to speak to you if that's okay," you said, awkwardly making your way in her direction.

"Oh, of course!" She danced over with her bouncing curls, but you were both interrupted.

"Sorry ladies, but it's time to work. You can speak at break time," Margaret walked over with a small smile and glanced out the window, "And the crowds are already gathering."

You nodded and sighed, Alice giving a pout.

Work for you was either fun or taxing, and today you couldn't even focus on work. You were slightly worried about Brendon, and slightly worried about how you were going to approach Alice about it. But you got through it. After a few hours of spacing out and forgetting what you were doing, it was break time.

Not exactly exciting, not exactly stressful.

"Alrighty, so what did you wanna talk about?" Alice sat across from you in the break room, slightly leaning forward toward you.

"Well, um. . ." What had you planned to say before? You didn't remember. Well that sucks. Gotta wing it. "What's Brendon up to lately?" Wow. Nailed it. That should be in an actual documentary in how to sound like a creepy stalker.

Alice didn't seem phased, though. "Oh, nothing, really. He's just been sitting in the entertainment room watching movies and playing video games."

That came as a small blow to your heart. Maybe he didn't want to see you, after all. You would understand, though. All you've been doing is work. "Oh. . ."

"Don't worry, hon, he talks about you sometimes."

That didn't really make you feel better. "Do you know why he doesn't leave the house?"

"Yeah I have a good idea why."

Why didn't she just tell you why, then? "Could you explain?"

"Yeah, I could."

Alright now she's just ticking you off. "And?"

"I think it would be better if you talked to him yourself, but he isn't leaving our house and it would be hard to get you in." She took her thumb nail in between her teeth in thought.

That is the most bizarre thing you have heard in your life. She's not giving you any answers. She probably saw how confused you looked, too.

"Listen, [y/n]," she started, her words slow and calm, "Brendon can't go outside right now. And for good reason."

"Well, does he want to go outside?"

She didn't answer for a few seconds. "He does. And he tries a lot."

You stood up in response to all of the negative energy flowing through you. "Then why in the world are you keeping him from doing it? You realize he's a grown man, right?"

Alice stayed seated, looking up at you with a smile. "Please calm down. It shouldn't be your concern. Just because you want to see him-"

"This has nothing to do with me, Alice," you interrupted. "This isn't my concern, true, but I can't help the fact that I am concerned. And you're just trapping him in there, basically!"

Alice still didn't budge. She stayed calm, but there was a small little glint of sadness in her eyes.

You didn't even let her speak before you asked, "Were you the one yelling at Brendon while I was on the phone with him?"

This time she didn't try to answer, but you knew it was a yes.

She was probably also the one who kept him from going to the cafe, too. Sitting down and sighing, you mumbled a quick, "Next thing I know I'm going to find out you're the one giving him all of those bruises, too."

Now she actually had another facial expression other than a smile. She looked absolutely offended. "Excuse me?"

It was your turn not to answer. You didn't know if you regretted saying that or not, so you had no place to defend yourself.

"That is a terrible thing to assume, [y/n]. I wouldn't ever. . . I wouldn't hurt him!" She yelled.

"It kinda seems like you already did. Sorry, Alice." Break time was not even close to being over, but you made your way out of the room, getting back to work, and wanting to be as far away from her as possible.

"[Y/n], let's talk about this later, please," she called.

"If you'll actually give me some answers I will." And with that, you didn't speak to her for the rest of your shift. Even when she left to go home, you only just watched her as she put her hood over her head and carried an overly large bag with her.

She didn't want Brendon out of that house, but that wasn't anything you couldn't change, hopefully.

So, can you try to predict what's going to happen and why Alice doesn't want him to leave?

Leave a vote or a comment or whatever works for you! You don't have to, but it would be greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day, and I hope you enjoyed having an early update!