Living with the Bentley Boys [ 10 ]

“Josh Evenson and Riley Evenson? Where are they?” Dylan asked frantically, banging his fist down on the reception counter as he waited for an answer impatiently.

                  “It’s- It’s my fault.” I cried through wracking tears.

                  “They’ll be fine Jaycee.” Cole reassured me squeezing my shoulder’s a little he wrapped his arm cautiously around my waist and kept me close too him.

                  “Room 212 and 213, second floor.” The receptionist  replied dully, chewing noisily on her gum. I wiped my eyes and attempted to make a run for it but Cole held me back.

                  “Calm down Jace, him and Riley will be fine!” He stated loudly so that Liam who was walking emotionlessly behind us would hear. Liam hadn’t said one word since we’d found out. It was my entire fault, if I hadn’t argued with him he wouldn’t have gotten so mad. If I’d just told him the boys were staying at my house none of this would have happened. How was I supposed to live with myself if something happened to either sibling?

                  I stood paralyzed outside door 212. The black paint on the numbers stood out against the white door making the situation seem almost so much more serious. My vision had blurred from the tears trapped in my eyes. I wouldn’t let them fall. Cole would be right; they’d both be fine.

                  “We’ll be outside kiddo.” Zane spoke, his voice startled me as I jumped on the spot zoning back to reality. I pushed the door open taking in a heap of air, every part of me hoped somebody would jump out from behind the door and yell ‘Surprise!’. Cole promised me Josh and Riley would be fine; he couldn’t just break his promise.

           I swallowed taking in the surroundings and eventually let my eyes hover over slowly to him. He was lying lifeless on the bed, his face a ghastly white all the colour drained from him. The usual smile on his face was replaced by pain, his face was crumpled up and his hypnotic blue eyes shut. What had I done too him?

          I wanted to bawl my eyes out, he made a choking sound and I couldn’t hold it in anymore, I clasped my mouth running over too him and started crying. I felt more helpless than I’d ever felt in my life, he looked so fragile, so delicate, his body was broken because of me. A big white bandage covered his forehead and little bruises were scattered across his face.

          “I’m so sorry Josh, please open your eyes.” I yelled shaking him violently. The tears rolled down my face as I heard the door behind me fly open and someone ran in. “I’m sorry Josh, Please open your eyes.” I cried.

          “Jaycee, let him go.” The voice instructed pulling my arms away from him.

          “Why won’t he open his eyes?” I yelled, tears running freely down my face. “I killed him.” I sobbed. “I killed him.” I whispered.

          “You didn’t kill him Jaycee, come on you need to calm down.” He announced taking my hand as he attempted to lead me out of the room.