Living with the Bentley Boys [ 21 ]

A/N: Apologies for the long wait, school ate me. ;)

I heard Zane laugh from behind me, “Why are you wearing that tight skirt if you hate it so much kid?” he laughed out again as I re-adjusted it for the hundredth time since we’d gotten out of the car.

“Kyle told me boys liked girls in short, tight clothing-“ I grumbled, diving into my handbag for the house keys. “I’m never listening to him again.” I half yelled, finally getting agitated at how the material constricted any leg movement.

Zane rolled his eyes, “Kyle likes girls in short, tight clothing not all boys.” he laughed, taking the keys from my hand to unlock the front door. He pushed it open, stepping aside so I could walk in first, then Liam, he followed last, shutting the front door behind him.

The house was silent, too silent and Dad’s briefcase was sitting by the door. His coat hung up, and his shoes placed neatly by the front door. I held my breath. He was never home, unless something really bad had happened.

“Zane? Liam?” Cole called, his voice bouncing off the walls in the vacant house. “You guys home?” he called again, and then suddenly there were heavy footsteps, getting closer and closer until he emerged, plastering a fake smile across his face as he saw us.

“Hey.” I smiled, tugging at the skirt to make it longer. You share a house with six boys and you chose an outfit that barely covers your arse, nice one Jaycee.

“Hey,” Cole smiled, making his way towards me before pulling me into a hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing him tighter just to let him know that whatever was wrong; it’d be all right. “Where are the other two brats?” he chuckled slightly pulling away.

Zane stiffened from beside me, “I have homework, I need to do it.” Liam stuttered, trying to make a swift escape.

Cole stepped in front of him, blocking the stairs. “Nice try kiddo, where are Tyler and Kyle?” he asked again, a much sterner edge to his tone.

“Jaycee?!” Another voice started, and I felt my insides melt. I let my bag fall to the floor, running into the living room and straight into my Dad’s open arms.

“Dad.” I whispered, nestling myself into his chest.

“Hey sweetheart,” he smiled holding me out at shoulders length. “Is everything alright?” he asked, his eyes lit with concern as he tilted my head upwards so I was forced to look into his eyes.

“Yeah,” I nodded, gulping. “Yeah, everything’s fine.” I managed to lie through clenched teeth. “Are you staying?” I asked hopefully.

He shook his head, and I chuckled slightly, I should have known, he never stayed, I was always on my own. “I have a business trip for a fortnight, but I’ll be home after that, I promise Jaycee.” he smiled, and tears were burning at the back of my throat because Mum used to always say that.

I’m just going out for a couple of hours Jace, I’ll come home and then we can watch a movie together, all right sweetie?