33

Calum

Crying. That's all you hear when you walk in to the apartment. Shrill cries of an unsatisfied baby.

Dakota is so exhausted but she always smiles at Aroha. She's an amazing mother.

"Caluuum!"

"Whaaaat?" I get up from the couch and go into our room.

She smiles and kisses my cheek. "Aroha wants daddy."

An unintentional growl emits from my throat.

She giggles. "Oops."

I chuckle. "Mmm honey. I would do so much.... stuff to you but... our daughter is in need of assistance."

She bites her lip and scampers out of the room. I chuckle and pick my daughter up.

I take her bottle and put it to her mouth. "Now, you listen here squirt. No dating until you are at least fifteen. Trust me honey, anything before that isn't what you want."

"I met your mother when I was fifteen. Before that, my dates were immature and.... stressful. When I saw your mom, I admit I was immature." I smile at my memory.

"He was a huge flirt." I look up and see Dakota smiling in the doorway. "Thought he could have any girl he wanted."

"I did not!"

She shakes her head and walks over. "Denial."

I smile and look back down at our daughter.

How did we end up here?

Flashback

I'm hanging out with Michael and Luke, acting stupid.

Luke has been doing these singing videos and we recently joined him. We need a drummer...

"Luke?"

Luke gets up and goes to his door. "Hey sis. What's wrong?"

"I-I took a nap and I had a nightmare."

He sighs. "Sis..." He glances back at us.

Michael grins. "Hey Dakota."

Dakota?

A little blonde girl appears from behind Luke. "Hey Mikey."

She's pretty.

"Come hang out with us."

She looks at Luke for permission. He wraps his arm around her shoulders. "It'll be fun."

She spends the rest of the day goofing off with us.

I find myself putting my hand on her thigh whenever she sits next to me. She tenses everytime. I can't help but whisper sweet nothings in her ear when the guys aren't paying attention.

Her australian accent is stunning.

"Calum?" Fingers snap in front of my face.

I look up at her. Eighteen year old Dakota. Australian accent replaced with a Southern. It's been five years since that day. Since I met the girl I'd fall for. The woman I would marry. Since my life came together like puzzle pieces.