One - First Encounter

It was just a typical day for you, spending time at work; filing, typing, printing – the usual office job kind of work. The end of your shift was nearing, and today, it couldn't come soon enough. You had been on the edge of your seat waiting for the new issue of your favourite comic book to be released, and finally, finally, after waiting for so long, you were going to be able to hold one of the first few copies of it in your hands. As soon as the clock struck 5pm, you grabbed your belongings, and made your way out of the office, bidding goodbye to your colleagues as you went. You strolled down the street, with the music blasting through your headphones, and the wind blowing through your [H/C] hair. This was the happiest you had been in a long time.

After a quick ten minute walk, you made it to the front of your most beloved comic book shop, Comic Sans. You held your hand up to the door, pushing it open, and making your way into the building. You practically lived in the store, so the workers there knew you very well.

"Evening, [Y/N]." Jim, the friendly owner of the store greeted you, as you made your way to the counter. You waved and smiled at him, before leaning over the counter, in search of your order. "Looking for the new release, are we?" He chuckled, as he pulled a set of keys out from his pocket. Jim proceeded to spin around on his heel, pushing the key into a lock on a cabinet. He retrieved the comic that you had been waiting for, placing it on the counter top in front of you. Your eyes widened, the disbelief that the day had finally arrived overwhelming your body.

"I-It's beautiful." You awed, as you turned over the first page, being careful not to crease the edges of the comic. Jim left you to it, knowing that he wouldn't hear a word out of you until you had read it through at least once. The bell of the door rang out, meaning that a new customer had walked into the store, as Jim wandered over to them to see if they needed any help.

You hardly blinked, as you read through the comic book, reading every word in detail. Your eyes studied the drawings, soaking in all of the colours. It took you around half an hour to read it through, as you snapped back into reality. Jim looked at you, awaiting your verdict on the new print. You were speechless, this is what you had been waiting for, and the storyline, along with the artistic beauty, instantly made this your favourite comic book. You fished your hand into your pocket, pulling out the money, and paid Jim what you owed him. You picked up the comic book, reading it now for the second time, as you began to make your way to the door. Just as you were approaching the door, with your head practically buried into the book, you felt the door smash into your face. You fell to the floor, groaning in pain, as a figure kneeled down over you. Feeling the stranger's hand graze across your cheek, you flinched, as you opened your eyes, being met by the most gorgeous and hypnotising brown eyes you had ever seen.

"I am so sorry, Miss. I didn't realise someone was behind the door. Are you okay?" The man asked, as he pulled you up onto your feet. You brushed yourself off, before looking up at him, taking in his features. He had short black hair, with a touch of grey to the sides. It was gelled over to one side, and he had a beard to match. His eyes stared into your [E/C] orbs, before they flitted down to your hands. "Hey, that's what I came in for, what did you think of it?" He smiled. You stammered, a little taken back by everything that was happening all in a short space of time. The stranger could see that you were still a little shaken up, and offered you a smile. "I'm Brian by the way."

"I'm [Y/N]..." You replied, as he shook you by the hand, gently of course. You peered down to your hands, scanning through the comic book, before turning to your favourite page. You passed it to the man you now knew as Brian, and offered for him to have a read through. He let a light chuckle pass through his lips, as he read through the page. As he was reading, you couldn't help but stare at him, taking in all of his features. The way his eyes would crinkle as he smiled, or the way he would chew on his bottom lip when concentrating. Within a couple of minutes, Brian handed you back your comic.

"It looks amazing! I-I guess I'll see you around." He smiled sweetly, as he held the door open for you. You stepped through, thanking him, before walking out of the store. You watched through the window, as he made his way to the counter, before Jim passed him a copy of the same comic book. You clutched it tightly against your chest, still processing the fact that this handsome stranger had been so nice to you. As Brian moved away from the counter, he noticed you through the window and smiled. You could feel the heat rise to your cheeks, slightly embarrassed that you had been caught looking at him. But he didn't mind, in fact, he found it rather endearing.

You started on your walk home, listening to the music playlist you had set up especially for your walks home. The songs were upbeat and kept you walking at a brisk pace, and before you knew it, you were rounding the corner to the street where your apartment block was located. As you stepped into the elevator, a song started to play, instantly, the lyrics reminded you of Brian, and how he had been so gentlemanly to you.

'I'm so tired of these men trying to
impress me with nothing
The same old routine and the smooth
fancy talking
Now I know and believe that I found
it for real
'Cos you're good and you're kind and
you care how I feel

I had a tall dark handsome stranger
I've had the devil in disguise
I've been attracted to the danger
But I was never satisfied
And I know what I like
And I like what I see in your eyes
You're so beautiful

I've been pushed I've been pulled
I've been put out and trod on
Just by taking my chances I finally
caught on
When I see in your eyes all the love
shining through
I'm so glad I held out for somebody
like you

I had a tall dark handsome stranger
I've had the devil in disguise
I've been attracted to the danger
But I was never satisfied
And I know what I like
And I like what I see in your eyes

Heaven must have sent you I know
You're so good to me
I feel good with you
I'd be such a fool to let you go
There's something about you
I can't live without you

I've had fast talking good looking men
at my door
Now I'm a wiser woman than I was before

I had a tall dark handsome stranger
I've had the devil in disguise
I've been attracted to the danger
But I was never satisfied
And I know what I like
And I like what I see in your eyes

I had a tall dark handsome stranger
I've had the devil in disguise
I've been attracted to the danger
But I was never satisfied
And I know what I like
And I like what I see in your eyes'

As you stepped into your apartment, dropping your bag to the floor and slumping onto your couch, you instantly felt regret build up inside. Why hadn't you asked for his number? Or offered him your copy, so that you'd have a reason to meet up once again? Who knows if you'll ever see Brian ever again, he may be lost forever.