44 - HOMECOMING

DIANA DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE UP THAT MORNING

DIANA DIDN'T WANT TO WAKE UP THAT MORNING. She just wanted to stay in bed the entire day and forget that she agreed to go with Flash to that stupid dance. Her entire body was aching and she didn't want to get up and train with Nicky and Rhett or even talk to anyone. She just wanted to stay in bed.

"Just because you're depressed doesn't mean you can't push through it and do stuff," Flash said, leaning against her doorframe, "It's past noon, get up and eat something."

She groaned and turned to look at him. "I'm tired, Flash."

"Yeah, about that," he began, "Why did you come home last night complaining about being sore?" His eyes were wide and suspicious and he looked ready to break someone in half.

It took her a moment to understand his second meaning. "Not like that! I've just been exercising."

"I'm calling bullshit and I played football," he said, crossing his arms, moving to stand by her bed.

She sighed. "Flash Thompson, please. It's a secret sorta thing."

"Is it Abraham?" he asked.

She sat up, frowning. "What?"

"Are you dating Abraham? Did you get back to Parker? I swear to God, if you're dating Charles—"

"I'm not dating anyone," she interrupted, "God, it's not like that, I'm just doing some work—not that kind! And I'm just tired because it requires physical movement. Please drop it."

He opened his mouth to argue, but closed it, his shoulders slumping. "Sure, Dina, sure. Just please eat something."

She groaned, but nodded, falling onto the floor. Flash just stared at her. She sighed and grabbed his shirt, pulling herself up, latching onto his arm. He practically dragged her out, dropping her unceremoniously onto her seat. He took his original seat across from her rather than next to her, leaning back.

"What's got you all riled up?" she asked, waiting for Rosie to finish heating up the food.

"Danny called the house," Flash replied primly, "You're still thinking about moving back?"

"You're thinking about moving back?" Jesse gasped from her position in the living room, magazines sprawled out in front of her.

Diana rubbed her face; it was too early for this. "Yeah, a little." She dropped her arms to the side. "I was considering it and maybe, yeah, I still am, but if I do, I'm not leaving now, so let's just pretend none of this happened and make it through Homecoming, yeah?"

Flash blinked. "You're a lot different now, the sessions with Nicky have been helping?"

She nodded. "Yeah, they really have."

It wasn't just the superhero training and the tech, it was the actual sessions they had, the conversations, the listening. Nowadays, if he asked her what she wanted, she would easily be able to tell him. It was an improvement that, when she noticed it, filled her with an immense sort of pride. She was getting better.