32 - A BREAK IN THE PACE

DIANA FELL INTO A ROUTINE, THOUGH IT WASN'T ONE SHE WANTED

DIANA FELL INTO A ROUTINE, THOUGH IT WASN'T ONE SHE WANTED. Every day was the same. Wake up—more often than not with Flash at the foot of her bed—and get up before Harrison got into her room and demanded what they were doing. Eat breakfast and try to avoid any sort of conflict that early in the morning. Get on the train with the siblings and hope she catches a seat, but would probably be left standing. Go to school and deal with Flash shouting at Peter who no longer tried talking to her, as well as juggling the piles of homework and her friendship with Gwen and Harry. Then, most of the time, go hide out in Nicky and Rhett's apartment until she chose to go home.

It was the same routine every day and Diana found that going to Nicky and Rhett's apartment became less of a slightly-uncomfortable experience and more like walking down the streets as a native, not a tourist. A tourist held onto their belongings and worried about every twist and turn. A native walked with their head up and ignored everyone who ignored them.

So it came to be that Diana sometimes went to their apartment for more than just sessions and test drives. It was a place where she had friends, how could she not go?

"You know what the worst villain in fanfiction is?" Rhett asked as he sat on the couch, eyes glued to his phone screen.

Diana raised her head slowly, blinking furiously. "Wha-what? Um, n-no, Rhett, what is the worst villain in fanfiction?"

He turned his head to look at her with wide, crazed eyes, whispering, "Miscommunication."

She smiled tightly. "Uh...that's great, Rhett. Um, what sort of fanfiction are you reading?"

"Captain America fanfiction," he laughed, "Real person fics sometimes make me uncomfortable, but this is well written," he glanced over at her again, "It's a pairing with Tony Stark, don't judge me."

She laughed shortly, shaking her head. "O-okay, um, shouldn't you be working on grading papers and stuff?"

He scoffed. "Who needs work when you can read two paragraphs about how great Captain America's abs look?"

She laughed, running a hand through her hair. "How-how old are you?"

"Older than dirt, thanks," he replied shortly, "Don't judge me. Back in my day, we didn't have this kind of technology. Seriously, I'm from the 40's. Let me read my fics in peace."

She shrugged, going back to her homework. "I wasn't the one who brought it up, old man."

He grabbed the pillow under his head and threw it at her and she shrieked, barely able to dodge it as he grazed her face and landed limp on the floor by the dining table.

"I actually need that, can you hand it to me?" he asked, making grabby hands towards the discarded pillow.

She groaned and stood up, walking to the table and picking up the pillow, throwing it at him, landing right on his stomach.