35 - PARTY FOUL

GWEN AND JESSE WERE ALL DIANA EVER ASPIRED TO BE

GWEN AND JESSE WERE ALL DIANA EVER ASPIRED TO BE. Pretty, extremely smart, and outgoing enough to be able to captivate an audience of strangers and turn them into friends in under ten minutes. Introverted and unsure, she was more than happy to stand on the side and watch the two work their magic. Unfortunately, they weren't about to let her hide in the shadows this time.

"I took the liberty of buying you something," Jesse announced proudly, practically kicking down Diana's door around seven that night, "Wait, we're doing our nails without me?"

"I told Flash to call you," Gwen exclaimed, glancing up from where she was applying acrylic nails onto an enraptured Diana.

"Flash is terrified of you," Jesse scoffed, "He's hiding in his room right now."

There was a muffled, "No, I'm not!" from the other room, causing the girls to fall into a frenzy of giggles.

"What did you buy?" Diana asked, tilting her head.

Jesse reached into the bag and pulled out a very short dress. Jesse had referred to it as a romper, but whatever the case, it was sleeveless, short, and dark blue. 'Because black is too formal,' according to the freshman.

"You see," she began, setting it down, "Since this is going to be a very epic party, I decided to pull a cliche teen movie and be the best friend who dresses the awkward main character—yes, Diana, you're her because you don't go to parties—in the more party girl type clothes. But instead of slut shaming and judging a girl by her outfit, you can just tell me if you want to wear something that covers more of your skin if you prefer that, because I do have something else."

Gwen smiled at the younger girl fondly. "You're so amazing."

"Thanks!" she chirped, "Anyways, Diana? Do you wanna wear the cliche teen movie dress?"

The girl stared at the dress that sat on her desk chair. She never wore that sort of thing and it was cold outside, she would be freezing. But she could wear a jacket over it until they reached the party. But then she'd have to carry it around, but that would be a good thing since she'd have something to hold.

She didn't usually wear it. But maybe that's why she should. This wasn't a full change, just a small one. A little blip. If she wore it, then maybe she could pretend to be someone else, even just for one night. No one at the party would know her save for four people. She could be someone new.

She could be someone whose parents didn't die. Whose boyfriend isn't Spider-Man, who didn't break up with her. Someone with a large group of friends, who didn't feel lonely all the time, who knew how to talk to people.

"I'll wear the cliche teen movie dress."

Jesse and Gwen cheered, though the latter had to hold still to keep from ruining her nail work. The former jumped onto the bed, jostling the two sophomores and earning herself an earful of shouts and cursing.