38 - NOTHING TO PROVE

WARNING: MENTIONS OF DOMESTIC ABUSE

º º º º º

IT HAD BEEN A WHILE SINCE DIANA ACTUALLY HAD A REAL SESSION WITH NICKY. The two often had sessions that bled into work, which was fine by her; she had been able to get out all of her thoughts and feelings and they just didn't have anything to do for the last twenty minutes or so. However, this time, she had too much to say. It was the day after Liz's party and Diana was now remembered as not only the girl who broke down on international television, but the girl who had a complete meltdown at Liz Allan's party.

"Do you want to go back to London?" Nicky asked, fiddling with his pen, "You mentioned that you threatened to go home if he didn't stop and, because he wasn't going to, he told you to just start packing your bags."

She sighed. "I don't know. Daisy is always asking me, but I don't know. Maybe? After last night, I really do want to." She and Flash returned home tense and neither spoke to each other; unless she counted him going onto her Spotify and playing her 'SONGS I CAN STILL LISTEN TO' playlist, just to spite her.

"Why?" he asked, "What about last night made you want to want to leave more than when you did before?"

"Everyone knows me again," she spat, "Now they don't just look at me with pity, they look at me like I'm about to scream and throw something. Then they remember who I am and it's pity all over again. It's a never ending cycle, I need to get away."

"Don't they also know who you are in London?" he ventured, "Like you said, your extended family had seen that interview."

"I don't know," she whined, "I just hate all of this, I don't want to be here, I just-"

"It feels just like before?" he asked, "When your parents first died?"

She raised her head. "My parents died six years ago and still I have people coming up to me to ask if I'm okay. It doesn't matter when they died, it just mattered that they did. At least in London, people won't recognize me as easily."

Nicky pursed his lips. "What about Jesse?"

She frowned. "What about her?" She and Flash hadn't spared her a glance when they had returned home, leaving her to continue playing a board game with Harrison who was instructed by Rosie not to talk to either teenager, easily recognizing the tension.

"The makeup," he explained, "You found it in her bag practically empty."

Diana took a deep breath. "I'm trying not to think about it." The very implications of the empty bottle made her sick to her stomach.

"Would you want to leave the two of them in that situation? You said you didn't want to stand on the sidelines again." He was trying not to tell her what to do, but he was displaying her options.