4 - I LOVE YOU

WARNING: MENTIONS OF DOMESTIC ABUSE

º º º º º

DINNERS WITH THE FULL FAMILY WERE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN AND IT WAS DURING THOSE NIGHTS WHEN DIANA WOULD EAT WITH THE FAMILY AT THE DINNER TABLE RATHER THAN IN HER ROOM, ALONE. She tapped her fork against her plate idly, glancing around. Rosie, who was wearing her scrubs, already ready to go to her shift right after, was trying to coax Jesse into telling her what had gotten the girl so upset.

"It's nothing," the youngest girl whined, crossing her arms, "It's not that big of a deal."

Rosie sighed and looked over at Flash and Diana who were sitting to her left. They both glanced down, not wanting her to start questioning them instead. Unfortunately for Diana, she hadn't looked away fast enough.

"Diana," the woman started, turning to face her, "What's on your mind, how's everything." The Thompson kids turned to look at her as well, both relieved to have their mother's attention off of them and onto someone else.

"Um..." Diana began. She wanted to ask about the field trip and figured now would be a good time. "There's this field trip that we're supposed to go on on Wednesday. I was told it was emailed to you, can we go? I think it's optional, but most people are doing it because we get out of homework, I think?" She had forgotten to ask Harry and Gwen about it, so she had no idea of what the trip was.

"Oh shit, yeah," Flash said, dropping his fork, eyes widening.

"Flash," his mother snapped, frowning.

"Sorry," he said absently, "I remember reading it in your email, but I forgot to bring it up to you. Yeah, can we go? You just need to fill out the form, the school's paying for it, deadline is Monday. It's just to some science exhibit, but if we go, we don't have to do homework for the following week."

"A week?" Diana parroted, shocked, "Can we please go?"

"Hold on," Rosie said, holding up a hand, "Flash, why didn't you tell me about this sooner?"

"I forgot," he said, sighing, "I was looking through your emails and I was so focused on the one from Jesse's school that I forgot to tell you about the other one."

"You should have told me about both," Rosie pressed, "You have to be more responsible, you can't just forget things and expect to not have consequences."

"You should check your own email," he snapped. All the air was sucked from the room.

"Alright," his mother sighed, "That's it. You're grounded."

"What?" he shouted, watching as she picked up his plate, sitting helpless.

"You can't talk to me like that," she said, throwing his leftovers in the trash and placing his plate in the sink, "So, you're grounded. You have to come straight home after school after practice. You are not going to go on that field trip and you will do the homework that is assigned to you."