27 - THE APPRENTICE

DIANA RAN INTO HARRY WHEN SHE WAS GETTING COFFEE THREE HOURS BEFORE MEETING WITH NICKY

DIANA RAN INTO HARRY WHEN SHE WAS GETTING COFFEE THREE HOURS BEFORE MEETING WITH NICKY. Her next appointment wasn't for a few more days, but he had started working on something and needed her help as Rhett was out and unable to assist. She had agreed to meet up with him and figured she could wander around and waste time. It was in front of Starbucks, just as she was about to open the door, that she was lifted off the ground and spun around.

She shrieked at the top of her lungs, prompting her assailant to immediately drop her, screaming, "It's Harry! It's Harry!"

She whirled around, throat hoarse, surprised to find herself face to face with the boy who was holding up his hands in surrender, shocked.

"Hey," she greeted, calming down.

He scoffed, dropping his arms. "Screams bloody murder and all she can say is 'hey.' They teach you that in London? Wait, don't tell me, I need coffee first, come on."

The two walked inside, Harry slinging an arm around her shoulder. They stood in line, staring at the menu, until Harry sighed.

"Do I have to bring up Peter or are you going to do it?"

She smiled up at him. "You can do it if you want because I don't."

He sighed. "He called me that night crying, Dina. He told me what happened and let me tell you, I cried. He was inconsolable and I think he broke something."

She bit her lip, frowning so hard it hurt. It didn't hurt as much as her heart, though. "I miss him, Harry."

"Then talk to him."

"He broke up with me."

"Yeah, but—"

She looked up at him again. "But what?"

Harry shook his head, sighing. "You have to talk about it yourselves. Communication is key to a healthy relationship, believe me, I'm dating Johnny Storm." Both Harry and Johnny could be wild flirts if they wanted, Johnny especially, so Diana had a feeling they didn't communicate as much as they should, regardless of if they did or not.

"How's that going, by the way?" she asked, moving forward in line.

"Don't change the subject," he said lowly. A pause. "It's going great, thanks for asking, we just sneak off to a closet or a room during parties and events, I love it."

She snickered lightly and turned towards the barista, ordering her usual. She heard Peter's voice echoing in her mind and quickly paid, urging the sounds of his 'white girl' out of her head.

Harry came to stand next to her on the side, both waiting for their drinks.

She didn't look up at him as she asked, "Did he tell you what happened with the necklace?"

Harry licked his lips. "I think that's what he threw. I didn't really understand him, he was sort of sobbing for most of it. He feels awful."

She scoffed. "So do I! This hasn't been easy for me, Harry, he broke up with me. I still love him." She cringed at her words; they sounded idiotic coming from a teenager who had only been dating a boy for a few months.