30 - PLANET DIANA

FLASH THOMPSON WAS MANY THINGS, MOST NEGATIVE, BUT HE WAS NOTHING IF NOT FORGIVING

FLASH THOMPSON WAS MANY THINGS, MOST NEGATIVE, BUT HE WAS NOTHING IF NOT FORGIVING. With his life, with everything that happened, Diana was both unbelieving and understanding. When she returned home that night with Jesse after spending a few hours at Gwen's, they found the boy dancing by the dinner table which held midnight pancakes. He had earbuds in and didn't notice them come in at first, but when he did, he just sat down and motioned towards the cinnamon syrup.

Flash Thompson didn't say sorry with his words-his father taught him never to show weakness-but he said it in his actions, if only in the smallest of ways. If only to his family.

Diana hadn't even opened her mouth fully to ask before he stood up and retrieved the milk from the fridge and three mugs from the cabinets, setting them in the middle of the table.

"She misses you," Jesse said softly. The first thing any of the three said since they sat down.

Flash took a bite of his pancake, drinking the rest of his mug before replying, pouring more milk as he did. "I miss our old house, doesn't mean we should move."

Diana shivered and took a bite of her own pancakes. She glanced over at the siblings who were looking at each other with an understanding that she couldn't even try to comprehend.

"Where's dad?" Jesse asked, looking around.

Diana and Flash both winced and glanced at each other. In a fortunate turn of events, Harrison never so much as raised his voice at the younger girl, all his aggression being refocused back on Flash.

"Not here," he replied, "He found a new job or something."

"That's good," she hummed, "Getting his life back together."

"Yeah," he mumbled, "It is good." He said it for a completely different reason.

The three finished eating in companionable silence. As the minutes wore on, the tension began to dissipate until neither could feel it in the air, pretending that they didn't know the other was still upset, still reeling.

"Night," Jesse yawned, placing her plate in the sink and retiring into her room.

"Night," the two sophomores chorused before glancing at each other, unsure of what to say.

"Do-do you wanna stay?" she asked, gesturing to her room.

He gestured to the apartment. "Only if you will."

She dropped her hands into her lap. "Maybe? I mean, I won't leave unless I have to."

He placed his hands on the table. "Neither will I."

She licked her lips. "Would you be lonely if I did?"

He leaned back in his seat. "Mom and Jesse are still around. But yeah. You?"

She tilted her head to the side. "I don't know."

He smirked. "But you don't want me to."

She frowned. "You don't want me to either."