The Unexpected Request

‘Want to go out for a few drinks tonight?’ Kol looked at the text from Zayn, who was just right across her in the van. They were on the way back to the hotel after their interview with that show that they just left.

When she looked up, he was already gazing at her with an expectant half-smile. She looked down at her phone and typed in a simple ‘Sure’ and sent it.

Zayn looked up from his phone a few seconds later and smiled. Kol looked at him differently this time. He noticed the intensity that his brown eyes gave, and how long his lashes were. He had beautiful bone structure on his chiseled face. The One Direction boys were her friends, but she wasn’t the type to keep any of her friends strictly as friends, and the way Zayn had looked at her implied that he was thinking of this not as night of drinks with a friend.

Once they got to the hotel, Kol was showed into her own room, where her suitcase was already placed. She looked through the limited clothes that she brought and decided on the safe little black dress, that had long sleeves, but had an intricate cut that revealed most of the skin of her back.

She simply retouched the makeup that had been applied to her face for the shoot, only changing the lipstick color to pink instead. She took out the elastic and pins that kept her hair in the bun and fixed the waves on her hair as she shook her hair out.

She took out her pink ballet flats that matched the color of her lips. She was just adjusting her diamond stud earrings when someone knocked on her door.

Zayn hadn’t told her what the plan was, but he was right outside the door, wearing a white shirt, a black leather jacket, black jeans and black trainers. “Ready?” he asked, giving her a warm smile.

She took her pink clutch bag and hurried out the door, “Let’s go.”

One of the bodyguards was trailing behind them as they headed down to the lobby. Kol joked about their chaperone while they were in the elevator and Zayn smiled sheepishly.

Instead of heading out the front doors, Zayn took her hand and led her towards the kitchen and out the back, all the while having their security following them.

Surprisingly, there weren’t any fans waiting there, since that area was closed off to the public. Zayn opened the van door open for her and she went in.

“So these are the tricks to get out undetected,” Kol observed as he closed the door behind him. Josh, their security guy, sat up front, giving them what little privacy they could be afforded.

“They switch the vans too, since they need to switch up the plate numbers,” Zayn said. “I had to make sure that they could have this arranged for me before I could even ask you out in the first place.”

“You were so sure that I’d agree?” Kol raised her eyebrow.

“No, but I wanted to make sure that it would actually happen.”

“What did you tell the boys?”