Thinking of the Plan

A/N- A bit hungover and sleepy, but I promised to upload Sunday, so I'm doing what I said! :) Sorry for the cliffhanger-like ending the last chapter. At least it kept you pining for more! Still a lot more chapters to go and I'm waiting for the vote count to go up, so the next upload will depend entirely on you guys and clicking the vote button on the side, because I won't be making any promises to upload too soon this time around! I love you guys, but I want to keep you motivated ;)

~

“What?”

Niall’s voice was full of bewilderment, and so was his face. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

Kol wrapped the towel around herself tighter and sat down next to him, trying to plan out what to tell him by sounding plausible.

“I think it was a bad idea for us to just stop the secrecy,” she said, holding his hand, but he kept his limp, “and I didn’t expect this all within just a few days of being here. Maybe I’m not ready for it yet.”

“Not ready for what?” Niall said, trying not to grind his teeth together.

“Not ready to handle all your fans,” she said. “I thought I knew what was coming, but I didn’t think it’d be this bad. I just can’t afford the bad publicity either, with so many girls disliking me. I might lose jobs because clients might think that too many people dislike me and just wouldn’t hire me for that reason. My career is only starting to look up right now. Imagine what reaction they’re going to have again when they see me on the cover for January in a magazine like that of all places.”

This was a nightmare. Niall ran his hand through his hair, thinking about just the other day when it felt like nothing could possibly go wrong with his life. He had just spent the day with Kol and was completely chuffed that he felt normal for once.

And now, it seemed like it had happened a hundred years ago. His girl now wanted to get some space from him, and with very good reason too.

“Are you just going to make them win?” Niall said, wanting her to take it back. Eleanor and Danielle had gotten through their own hate mails. Surely, this too shall pass. “Are you just going to give up?”

Kol looked down at the floor. One of her reasons for wanting some space had been because she might not book jobs. It had been one plausible one that Niall would have accepted because he knew that her career meant a lot to her. It wasn’t entirely true though. It wasn’t as if clients were paying for her name, unlike actors and actresses. They were paying for her look, which was what they thought would suit them best. It had just been a reason so as not to tell Niall that she just wasn’t strong enough to handle too many haters.

Maybe they would be more forgiving if she wasn’t in the same continent as Niall for the holidays.

“It’s not you they hate, Nialler, it’s me. I’m the problem, not you.”

That was a twist. Niall looked at her with wide eyes as she said this. She really was too good for him. She wasn’t even blaming him for this. She was blaming herself. He knew he really didn’t deserve her.