In a Few Weeks

6 weeks later.

“Hello?” Kol woke up in the middle of the night to a phone call. She was exhausted, what with her shoot that needed her to wake up at 4 in the morning. She glanced at the clock. It was just around 1AM, and none of her other roommates were in the room with her.

“Did I wake you up?” Harry’s voice came from the other line. He sounded upset. Kol had gotten accustomed to the late-night phone calls that Harry would make in the middle of the night, no matter what the time difference was. She really didn’t need to speak much, since she knew that all he needed to do was vent and talk.

“It’s fine,” she said groggily, sitting over the edge of her mattress and leaning her forehead on her palm. She had a really bad headache. “What’s up?”

“I did really bad tonight. I think it’s one of the worst I’ve ever sung,” he said, sounding very glum.

“Haz, you always say that, but you make it sound worse than it really is,” she said, adopting the nickname that the rest of his band mates have given him. “I’m sure you did great.”

Kol switched on her iPod that was on the iDock. Meet My Mom by New Boyz started playing. She shuffled into the bathroom and held her phone in between her cheek and shoulder so she could still listen to Harry, as he kept talking about his insecurities as a singer. She started to fill up the bath with water before getting in.

“What time is it there anyway?” Harry asked, once he said the last of his opening up.

Kol looked at the clock again. “Almost half past one in the morning.”

“Damn,” he said, “I’m sorry. I just needed to talk to someone other than the boys or the crew.”

“I told you, it’s fine,” she dismissed it. “How are the rest of the boys?”

“Getting along,” Harry said. “They’re asking for you.”

“Tell them that I said hi as well,” she said. “I’ve been talking to Zayn and Niall as well. They keep updating me with where you guys are. I can’t even keep up half the time. I hope you guys had fun celebrating Niall’s nineteenth a few days ago, even though you couldn’t go out or anything.”

“It was all right. His family was online on Skype the whole time,” Harry laughed. “Can’t you fly out to see us, Kol? It’d be really good for all of us.”

“You’ll have to tell me when and where,” she laughed, filling up the bath with some more soap. “I still have work too, if you remember.”

“How are the fans, by the way?”

Kol took a pause at that. After the video for ‘I Want’ had been released a few days ago, she had decided to make her Twitter account public because the amount of requests came from hundreds into thousands. She hardly used it anyway, so it didn’t really do any harm. Kol didn’t even know how they found out who she was, considering that she was very seldom mentioned in a few articles talking about the video.

She had been the first girl to be the only female in any of their videos, so she had gotten a considerable amount of attention. Kol couldn’t go one day without being recognized by at least one person.

Kol was usually happy just to take a few pictures with people who asked and she would go on with her day just like normal.

She had received more offers for advertisements, and Maria was in a frenzy trying to book as much as she could. Slinky, her boss at the restaurant had been very understanding when she couldn’t go to her shifts because she had a shoot to do.

“They’re fine, and they keep asking me about what you guys are like,” she said carefully. The boys adored their fans, but they were very careful with what they did, since some became very mean, especially if girls were involved. Niall had told her about how some had treated Eleanor, Louis’ girl, when they first found out about her. Zayn also told her about some girl he asked out in Australia, but she backed out because the fans scared her off. “Some have given me a little bit of shit for acting too close to you guys in the video, telling me that they’re the only ones who can hold you like that. Some told me that they hoped Eleanor or Danielle would hunt me down for acting all sweet with Liam and Lou in the video. They’re pretty mild though, considering.”

Harry didn’t respond for a few moments, because he was talking to someone on his end. Kol could hear Niall’s voice in the background, but she couldn’t tell what he was saying.

“Hey Kol, I have to go, but it was really great talking to you, and I know I greeted you last night, but happy birthday again,” Harry said. “I’ll have Paul phone Maria about your schedule and have you fly over here one of these days. I really miss you.”

Kol laughed. “I miss you too, Harry. Go on, before someone scolds you.”

She hung up before he added something more to say. She rolled her head back, but kept her hair dry. Slowly, she stood up and got out of the bath so that she could get back to bed. Harry had been the most consistent of the boys when it came to calling her. Kol always had something going on in her head though, so she was always preoccupied when he called. He had the uncanny ability of calling her on late nights, even when they had the time difference.

Zayn was the one who texted the most, which was a far more desirable way of communication for Kol, since she could reply in her spare time and she didn’t feel pressured to give an answer right away.

Louis and Liam hardly talked to her, except for the occasional hello to ask how she was, and whether they would be seeing her any time soon.

Niall was inconsistent. Sometimes, he would call a lot, but then there might be a week that she wouldn’t hear a peep out of him. Out of nowhere, she might suddenly get a random text from him after how many days of not hearing from him. Kol found him to be such a sweetheart, with his infectious laugh and easygoing attitude.

Somehow, One Direction had turned out to be proper friends for her. She had flown out twice out of the city to have photo shoots, but she was never in the vicinity of where the boys were, so they could never meet up.

She wouldn’t admit it out loud, but she had mixed feelings of attraction to the single boys, with their distinctive personalities. Kol didn’t want to get mixed up with any of them though, since they traveled too much and were prone to meeting a lot of pretty girls. Not only would it be an unpredictable relationship. It would also make Kol a very jealous girl.

Deciding not to think about any of it anymore, she switched off the lights and the music, and went to bed.