Chapter 25

Maddie's POV

I'm so so excited for today!  Aunt Jessica came back from California a few days ago and said I could stay the night at her house here in Virginia!  I've never left Kate since I got adopted by her basically, but it's her sister so it's basically the same thing right?  Plus, Aunt Jess said I could Face Time Kate before I go to bed so I can tell her goodnight.

"Maddie, you almost ready sweetie?  Aunt Jessi gonna be here soon." Kate asked as she entered my room.  "No, I need help." I told Kate, feeling a little pathetic.

"With what?" Kate chuckled as she came the rest of the way into my room.  "Packing my suitcase.  I don't know what to put.  I've never been to a sleepover before." I told her.  "Aw, it's okay.  I'll help you, don't worry." Kate told me.

A half hour later I was all packed for the weekend, and Aunt Jessica was calling Kate on her phone that she was pulling up the street.  I ran down stairs, excited to see her again.  As I opened the door, suitcase beside me, Aunt Jessica was on the other side.

"Aunt Jessica!" I squealed as I hugged her.  "Hey baby girl!" She exclaimed as she lifted me up.  "You ready for an awesome weekend?" She asked, and I nodded.

"Be careful with her Jess.  I want her back in one piece." Kate chuckled.  I got down from Aunt Jessica's arms and ran to give Kate a hug goodbye.  After our goodbyes, I was off on an adventure with Aunt Jessi.

***

Kate's POV

It was like living alone again, and I wasn't sure whether to enjoy it or hate it.  As much as I love Maddie to the moon and back, I also have learned to adore my 'me time'.  I haven't had a weekend to myself since I adopted Maddie, and this one was well deserved.

It's not that I don't love my little girl, but a new mom can take so much at a time, so I'm forever thankful that Jess decided to have Madie over for the weekend.

I started my Friday night by changing into a black tank top and pair of Victoria Secret PINK shorts.  After that followed a tall glass of red wine and one of my favorite movies: Silver Linings Playbook.  Probably my favorite Jennifer Lawrence movie, next to the Hunger Games series.

I was only half paying attention to the movie, because I was also ordering pictures off of SnapFish.  I had taken so many pictures in the past, almost two months, of Maddie that I used all the storage on my camera and phone.  So I had to print them so I can delete the digital versions to take more.

Around 8:30 I was getting a FaceTime request from Jessica.  Judging by the time, Maddie was probably getting ready for bed and was calling to say goodnight.  I quickly paused the movie and accepted the call.

"Hey!" I exclaimed as I saw Maddie and my sister.  "Hi Kate!" Maddie said.  I noticed that her hair was in this very intricate braid, likely the work of my cosmetology sister. 

We talked for a little bit about what they had been doing and apparently they went out to eat (Maddie actually ate!), did a little (or a lot) of shopping, and then after Maddie got all showered Jessica braided her hair all crazy cool like.  I can do hair and makeup, but never like Jess could.

"Alright Miss Maddie, say goodnight and I'll be there in a minute to tuck you in." Jessica said, the signal that she wanted to talk to me for a minute. 

"Okay, goodnight Kate!  I love you!" Maddie exclaimed. 

I was taken aback, but went with it.  Jessica noticed too.

"I love you too Maddie.   Goodnight, be good!" I told her.  She nodded and then left the view of the camera.

"That just happened!" Jessica whispered excitedly as I started smiling huge.  "She-she said she loved me!" I exclaimed and nearly started crying. 

Maddie loved me.

"Oh my god! Sis!" Jessica said as she moved around excitedly.  "I don't even think she noticed she said it!" I told her.  "That's good.  It didn't take her to think about it, that means she trusts you!  Won't be long now before she starts calling you Mom!" Jess said.  She sounded just as excited as me.

"God, I love that kid." I said to no one in particular.  Jessica and I talked for about another five minutes about their plans for the next day, before she had to go.

"I'm gonna go put her to bed.  I love you Kate." Jessica told me.  "Love you too sis.  Treat my baby good." I told her, and then we ended the call.

I smiled happily to myself as I resumed the movie.  Maddie said that she loved me for the first time without any hesitation.  She trusted me.  It took nearly two months since I adopted her, but she trusted me.

And though I still love my alone time, I was now anxiously awaiting for. Maddie to come home now.

***
Hey guys!  Aww, Maddie said she loves Kate!  What do you guys think of that?  I hope you are all excited for what I have coming!  Love you guys!

Question of the day: what would you name your future child?

My answer:  Harleigh or Blayke for a girl, and Jaxon or Tanner for a boy.