Chapter 5

Maddie's POV

Kate is supposed to visit me today.  It's Wednesday and she said she's gonna give the papers to adopt me to Miss Caroline today.  I was really excited, we were gonna go out and hang out together.  I wasn't sure what we would do, but I'm sure it was gonna be fun!

Which probably means I should get dressed.  I went to my drawer and tried to pick out something to wear.  I picked out a purple t-shirt and a denim skirt.  I didn't know where my silver sandals are, but they had to be somewhere.  I looked under my bed and there they were!  I put them on my feet and tightened the strap on the back of my foot.  I wanted to try and do my own hair today, so I took my brush and brushed out my hair.

I grabbed a hair-tie and put my hair in a ponytail.  I was bored now, and had nothing to do.  I went the next room down to Dana's room.  She was tuning her guitar.  "Hi." I said coming in her room.  "Hey bud.  What's up?" she asked.  "I'm bored.  Waiting for Kate." I told her.  "Oh yeah, you're hanging out with her or something right?" Dana asked and I nodded.  "Cool.  Wanna listen?" she asked, gesturing to her guitar.  I smiled and nodded my head.

Dana liked older country singers and that kinda music.  Her favorite's...well she has a lot.  "What you wanna hear?" she asked.  "You know 'I'm a Survivor' right?" I ask.  "Yep, good ole Reba song." she said and started strumming her guitar.

I don't believe in self-pity
It only brings you down
May be the queen of broken hearts
But I don't hide behind the crown
When the deck is stacked against me
I just play a different game
My roots are planted in the past
And though my life is changing' fast
Who I am is who I wanna be

The baby girl without a chance
A victim of circumstance
The one who oughta give up
But she's just to hard headed
A single mom who works two jobs
Who loves her kids and never stops
With gentle hands and a heart of a fighter
I'm a survivor....

She sang beautifully.  I sang at the chorus too, I loved this song cause I felt we could all relate to it.  We were all survivors.  "Maddie?" I heard from my room.  "She's in here!" Dana yelled.  Miss Caroline came one door down to Dana's and said, "Maddie, your visitor is here."   I was so excited!  I jumped and said bye to Dana, going downstairs.  "Now Maddie, you'll behave for Kate okay?" Miss Caroline asked.  "Yes, I promise." I said.

"Hey Maddie!" Kate said when I came downstairs.  I ran up and hugged her.  "Woah, hey there girly!" she said as I jumped her.  "I missed you!" I said looking up to her.  "Aw, I missed you too.  But you ready to go have fun today?" she asked, and I nodded my head happily.  "Than let's go!  I'll have her back by 3." Kate said, and we left the building.

I got into the back seat of Kate's car and she pulled down the road.  "So Maddie, are you excited for today?" she asked.  "Yeah, I couldn't wait!" I told her.  "Yeah, me too.  So what I was thinking was today we could go out for lunch and then maybe go see a movie?  How's that sound?" Kate asked.  "Yeah!  That sounds awesome!  What movie?" I asked.  "Maleficent's out.  I was thinking that, but whatever you want." Kate said.  "That sounds good!" I told her.  "So where do you wanna go for lunch?" Kate asked.  "Not sure.  You pick." I tell her.  "I know a place." Kate said with a smile.

It was small talk the rest of the ride to the restaurant.  "So where do you live?" I asked.  "Wilmington, about three hours away from here." Kate said as we were walking into the restaurant, Chili's.  "Oh where do you work?  What do you do?" I asked, more curious about her.  "Well, I'm a high school criminology teacher.  But I used to work in Quantico, Virginia as an FBI agent, which is five hours from Wilmington, so it was a far move." she said with a chuckle.

"Hi, just you two?" the lady at the front said.  "Yes." Kate said.  We were taken to a table and the lady asked what we wanted to drink.  "Uh?" I said, looking over to Kate.  "Anything you want." she mouthed to me with a smile.  "Lemonade?" I said.  And then the attention was off me.  "You okay?" Kate asked after the waitress left.  "Yeah, just awkward and shy sorta." I told her.  "It's okay.  So you know what you want?" Kate asked, turning the menu to me.

"I'm not sure." I said.  "Okay, well let's see what they got." Kate said.  "I don't each a lot, so...I'm not sure." I said.  "Okay well they have this, that's not too much." Kate said as she pointed to a four-piece chicken strip basket.  "Yeah, I could try to eat all that." I said.  The lady came back and gave us our drinks and took the order.  I told her mine with a little bit more confidence than the last time.

"So what do you like to do in the summer?" Kate asked.  "I like to do gymnastics in the backyard.  Um...drawing, dancing, swimming, I went to a pool party at a friend's house last summer, and it was so fun!" I said.  "Fun!  I like to go swimming in the lake by my-well, soon to be our house." Kate said.  "Cool!" I said.

We talked more about random stuff until the food came.  I didn't end up eating all the food, probably less than half.  I felt kinda bad because Kate kept looking at me kinda like she was seeing if I would eat more.  After paying the bill, Kate said, "So you ready to go see Maleficent?"  I smiled and said, "Totally!  It looks really good!" We left the restaurant and then got back in the car to drive to the movie theater.

When we pulled into the parking lot, I saw the movie poster hanging on the outside wall.  "It looks awesome!" I said for probably the millionth time.  "Alright looks like we're right on time!" Kate said and we headed up to the theater doors.  I was so happy to be here.  Being with Kate was awesome!  "Hey Kate?" I said, looking up to her as we got in the ticket line.  "Yeah Maddie?" she said looking down.

"Thanks."