Chapter 9

Kate's POV

I slammed my hand on my alarm clock, knowing it was Summer and I shouldn't be waking up at 7 in the morning.  "Come on, ten more minutes." I muttered to no one in particular, considering the fact that I lived alone.  Wait a minute...I wasn't gonna live alone after today!  I rolled over, still wanting my extra ten minutes of sleep.  But it was mostly me just smiling to myself, thinking about Maddie.

When I decided to finally get up it was 7:30, a bit longer than 10 minutes but whatever.  I had to leave by 10:30 at the latest, so I didn't get stuck in the city's lunch hour traffic.  I dressed a little more casual this time since I was bringing her home, that and it was so hot out.  Like somewhere around eighty-five degrees!  I showered and dried my hair and then got dressed.  After getting dressed in my white tank top and patterned shorts, I slipped the ring on my finger that Jessica got me for Christmas last year. 

I straightened my hair and didn't do a ton of makeup, I don't generally, but especially not today since I would be driving most of the day and it would be so hot

I straightened my hair and didn't do a ton of makeup, I don't generally, but especially not today since I would be driving most of the day and it would be so hot.  By the time I was done getting myself ready it was already almost 9:00!  "Shit." I muttered to myself.  I was gonna have to watch my filter with an eight year old in the house.  I started running around the house making sure everything was ready.

I peeked into Maddie's room and everything was how I left it last night.  I had gotten some more stuff for her room and put it in there, mostly a couple pieces of clothing to last a few days before I took her shopping.  I had my bag sitting on the table by my front door which had all my stuff for the adoption finalization.  It was mainly all the release forms and the medical forms.  I didn't know what to have with me honestly.  I could text Alison or Ethan see what they bring when they take their kids on road trips, but I didn't want to bother them this early.  

Yeah, Alison was divorced with two kids Jake who was ten and Jenna who was six and had down syndrome.  That was why her husband left her, because Jenna had down syndrome.  The ass.  Then Ethan has a nine year old daughter, Brooke, with his wife Hannah.  And Austin was dating Rebecca, and Rebecca has an eight year old daughter, Sabrina, who she had in college because of a one night stand.

When it came time to leave, all I could think about was being a good mom.  As much as Alison, Ethan, and Rebecca had given me advice about raising a young child, they had been doing this the kid's whole life.  I was just getting to know Maddie.  As I started my three hour drive in my black Chevy Mailibu, all I could think of was Maddie and her pretty little face.  I was ready to bring her home.

I started thinking of all the things my mom did for me, that I would soon be doing for her.  Tucking her in at night, going to games and talent shows, helping with homework, taking her to parties and hosting them too, and just being a mom.  The feeling of having someone I could call 'my daughter', was getting close to being too much to handle.  It was about to be happy tears streaming down my face as I pulled up to the house's driveway.  But I managed to pull myself together somewhat.

Maddie was sitting on the porch with Caroline on the porch swing.  I smiled as I parked my car and got out.  I saw her stand up and start to come over to me.  She was smiling as she ran up to me.  I extended my arms and pulled her into a tight hug.  I had to prevent myself from crying again.  I wiped away the threatening tears from my eyes as Maddie pulled away from the hug.  "Alright Maddie, you ready?" Caroline asked her.  She smiled and nodded.

"Alright Maddie, let's go home." I said smiling down at her.  She had this big white toothy grin that went adorably perfect with her huge blue eyes and curly caramel brown hair.  "Bye Miss Caroline." Maddie said as she hugged the only person she had known her whole life.  "Bye sweetheart.  Be good." Caroline told her.  I almost felt bad taking Maddie, but I knew I was doing the right thing.

Maddie got into the back of my car and put her small pink duffel bag next to her.  "Thank you." I told Caroline one last time.  "She deserves it more than anyone." was all she said.  When I got into my car and pulled down the driveway, I could see Maddie looking behind her.  I couldn't blame her, it was the last time she was seeing the house she grew up in.

"I'm glad you waited for me." I told Maddie, trying to break the silence.  "You said you were gonna come.  I thought you left me, but then you called and said you were coming today." Maddie said.  I made a little more small talk with her, until I could tell she was running out of stuff to say.  And honestly, so was I.  So I turned the radio on and asked what she liked.  "Anything is fine really." she answered.  I went to my favorite variety station and listened to my favorite Emerson Drive song, 'Moments'.

I think Maddie knew it, because in the rear view mirror I could see her mouthing the lyrics.  I turned my attention back to the road just as we passed the forty-five minute mark into our drive home.  I kept my attention on the road and listened to the music that was on an interruption-free hour.

The next time I looked back to Maddie was at a red light.  I checked in my rear-view mirror and saw her leaned against the window, fast asleep.  I smiled to myself and quickly grabbed my phone and turned in my seat.  I probably only had thirty seconds before this light changed.  I slid up to my camera and turned to Maddie.  I made sure my sound was off and took the picture.  She looked so peaceful sleeping.  All I could think was that this beautiful little girl...

Was actually mine.