Chapter 13

Kate's POV

I had put Maddie to bed around thirty minutes.  She's in my bed and as I passed my door again, I peaked my head in to see her fast asleep.  I smiled and quietly entered.  I lightly pushed back her hair from her face, and kissed her forehead carefully.  "Goodnight Angel.  I love you." I whispered near her ear.  She was breathing steadily and had her arm wrapped tightly around her Build-a-Bear.  She told me where she got it when I asked about it yesterday, and it was just too cute.

When we had gotten back home, we put away her new stuff and played soccer in the backyard.  I was the sporty one in the family as a kid, but I still let her 'beat me'.  I swear this little girl's smile could light up an entire room.  She was still very shy, but opening up more and more.  I was hoping that Sunday I could have my friends over and they could all meet Maddie.  Friends includes Jessica, it'd be weird if I mentioned family, mostly because we don't have any.  

My dad died almost three years ago from cancer, and my mom got in a terrible car accident shortly after he died.  She was alive, but basically brain dead.  Jessica and I made the decision for the hospital to take her off life-support and we stood there watching my mom die in that hospital bed.

I went back into Maddie's room and finished putting her stuff away.  We had put her clothes away, which was a lot!  I didn't mind buying the stuff for her though.  I had been saving paychecks from last year for when I got to bring her home.  

We ended up with seventeen shirts (mostly short, but a few long sleeved), six, tank tops, four pairs of jeans, ten pairs of shorts, six pairs of leggings, eight skirts, three jackets, five dresses, six pairs of pajamas, three swimsuits, and four dance wear sets.  The dance wear sets were mostly active tops, leggings, sweatpants, sports bras (even though she's eight), and leotards.  Don't even get me started on accessories and shoes though!  I'm already kind of a shopahaulic myself, but when I see all these cute little kid clothes, and I have a kid to shop for...it's kinda hard to stop.

I promised Alison that I'd call her tonight, so that's what I was doing.  I had made myself a cup of tea and pulled a blanket over myself on the couch as I dialed Ally's number.  Within the first three rings, she answered.

"Hey Ally."

"Hey Kate!  How's the new cutie?"

"She's perfect.  I took her shopping today and God that smile!"

"Kid's smiles get pretty addictive.  Why do you think I spend so much time with Jenna?"

"Yeah, but she's asleep now, long day for both of us."

"I bet.  So when do we all get to meet this little angel?"

"I was thinking Sunday?  Barbecue at my house?  I have the pool, we can have a bonfire..."

"I could get some awesome shots for the new portfolio!  Need some new action ones."

"Yeah!  Aren't the last ones you have from when Jake played soccer?"

"Yeah, which was four years ago and I was a cringey bad photographer."

"You've gotten way better, but you weren't bad."

"Alright well whatever, not about me.  Tell me more about little Maddie."

"She loves dance, I'm gonna enroll her at the place by my school."

"Good for her.  Get out there and do some sports."

Alison and I talked a little bit longer about Maddie, our summer, and her kids.  I was starting to tell Alison about the details for Sunday, but nearly fell off the couch when a thunderstorm came out of nowhere and thunder smashes through the sky.

"Jesus!  What was that?"

"I don't know.  Thunderstorm came out of nowhere."

"Weird, I'll probably be getting it in about fifteen minutes if it's not some two minute storm."

"No, I think this one's staying."

We talked for about another two minutes before another roll of thunder came in.  About thirty seconds after that, I could hear crying from upstairs.  Maddie.

"Ally, I gotta go.  I think the storm scared Maddie."

"Alright, talk to ya later."

"Yeah, I'll text you all about Sunday, tomorrow."

"Bye Kate."

"Later A."

I hung up and went up the stairs.  The cries getting louder.  It was breaking my heart, because I am a pretty big softy and it was sad to hear her scared.  I went into my room and she was curled up and crying.  "Maddie?" I asked and she looked up.  "Hey, hey, hey baby what's wrong?"  I said as I got into the bed next to her.  "The storm woke me up, and-and you weren't t-there.  And I-I got scared." she whimpered.

"Aww it's okay.  I'm right here.  I've got you." I said as I pulled her into my lap.  Her cries and breathing was a little shaky as she buried her head in my shirt.  "Shh, shh.  It's okay.  I'm right here." I cooed.  I remembered what me and my sister were told when we used to be scared of the thunder.

"You don't need to be scared of the storm.  You know why?" I said and she lifted her head up to me.  "Why?" she questioned.  I smiled as I told her, "Because it's just the angels bowling.  Everytime there's thunder, that's the angels rolling the ball, and the lightning is when they get a strike." She looked at me with a look of bewilderment.  "Really?" she asked.  "Yeah, it's just them bowling.  So whenever you see the lightning, you can count how many strikes they get." I said.

She still jumped a little at each lightning and thunder, but had calmed down for the most part, and I made sure to stay with her.  She was starting to fall asleep each time, but the thunder would wake her up.  So I decided to use another tactic that my mom used for me, and I even would sometimes do for Jessica when she was younger, so I sang to Maddie.

Merrily we fall
Out of line, out of line
I'd fall anywhere with you
I'm by your side

Swinging in the rain
Humming melodies
We're not going anywhere until we freeze

I'm not afraid, anymore
I'm not afraid

Forever is a long time
But I wouldn't mind spending it by your side
Tell me everyday I get to wake up to that smile
I wouldn't mind it at all

I finished singing the verse and chorus for her and just like that, she was out like a light.  I didn't want to move her, so I stayed there with her.  So I got comfy and pulled the blanket up around us.  I leaned my head on top of hers and wrapped my arms tightly around her.  I couldn't believe that she was mine, and I had just had my first 'mom moment'.