Chapter 23

Maddie's POV

I nailed the double back handspring for the fifth time in a row and had a victory. Miss Cambrie says after five times of nailing it, you have it basically perfected. I was outside with Kate practicing my solo and that was the one part of it that I was worried about. I had been practicing since ten in the morning and it was noon now. "Baby you are gonna wear yourself out!" Kate chuckled off to the side.

"But it has to be perfect." I told her as I went over to her. She pulled me into her lap on the back porch swing and hugged me. "You are gonna do great, but you are gonna worry yourself silly. You still have practice tomorrow, and then tomorrow night in the hotel, and the day after before competition. You'll be fine." She tells me.

"I'm afraid I'm gonna forget. I have the group dance and then the solo...I just don't wanna forget." I told her as I rested my head on her shoulder. "You need something to calm you down and chill you out. How about...girls day?" Kate asked. "I don't know. I really need to practice." I told her. "It was rhetorical Mads." Kate said with a laugh. "What's that mean?" I asked her as I lifted my head. "It means I-never mind. We're having a girls day cause you need to have time to relax." Kate said as she got up.

I followed her back into the house and asked, "So what are we gonna do?" Kate smiled and said, "Go get dressed to find out." I ran up the stairs and went into my room.  I put on a light blue tank top and a pair of white jean shorts, and then decided to just leave my hair down.  I went back down stairs to find Kate grabbing her black purse.

"Ready spaghetti?" She asked and I giggled as I nodded my head yes.  We went outside to where her car was parked and I got in the backseat like always.  "Okay, so I was thinking that we get our hair and nails done and then do a little retail therapy." Kate said as she pulled down the road.  "Really?!" I asked excitedly as Kate nodded.  I had never had my hair or nails done professionally.  Dana painted my nails sometimes and pretty much whoever did my hair.

***
"Oh my god!  Look at you!" Late exclaimed with shock as I came out from the back of the salon.  I had about two inches of my hair cut off, and had my nails in a delicate French manicure.  "She is probably the best kid I have ever done hair and nails for." The stylist said as Kate paid for it.

"Thank you so much Kate.  I loved it!" I told her as we walked through the first store of the day.  Kate said we were gonna get competition ready for the weekend.  That meant buying dance makeup, the right hair things, and a bunch of other stuff.

"You're welcome princess." Kate said as she ran her fingers through my hair.  "Okay so we need eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, contour, blush, and probably a foundation." Kate said to no one in particular.  We picked up a eyeshadow palette with a ton of different colors, black eyeliner and mascara, and then some other stuff for your face.

After getting all the hair and makeup stuff for competition, we came to the conclusion that we needed a bag to put all this in.  Kate took me in this place called Sephora and we bought this big makeup case that was kinda like a box.  She said it was gonna fit all the makeup on the top part and the hair stuff on the bottom part.

"Oh Mads, guess what?!" Late exclaimed as she looked up from her phone.  "What?" I asked absent mindedly as I looked at the random assortment of dancewear in the store we were currently in.  "Your costume came in, finally!" She told me.  I looked up with happiness.  I wanted to try on my costume so bad, it was just so pretty! 

After three more hours of shopping we came out with more hair and makeup stuff, a new set of dance wear, and two UPS packages.  One had my dance costume and another had the jacket we ordered from the dance studio.  It was sparkly blue and silver and white and just really pretty.  I wanted to wear it then but it was really hot.

"Kate, thank you so much for today.  It was really fun.  I can't wait for my competition!" I told her as we came back into the house after our long day.  "You are very welcome.  I told you this is what you needed.  A little day to just relax and not worry, because you are going to rock that competition." Kate said as she smiled.

I hoped that I did as good as Kate said I would.  I really wanted to make her proud and show her that I wanted to dance so badly that I would do anything.