Chapter 16

Maddie's POV

I woke up in the middle of the night alone in Kate's bed.  Where was she?  I started looking for her alarm clock, seeing that it was past two in the morning!  Where was she?!  Did she leave in the middle of the night?  Did she leave me?

I had to find out for myself, so I got out of her bed and tried to remember what her house layout was so I could look for her.  "Kate?" I called out when I saw a light on in the kitchen.  "Maddie?  Mads is that you?" She asked as she stood up.  "Yeah." I answered as I come into her line of vision.  "Hey sweetheart.  What are you doing up?" She asked as I went over to her. 

"I woke up and you weren't there.  I thought you left me." I told her as she hugged me.  "Oh sweetheart, I would never leave you.  Your my princess.  I promise I won't ever leave you." She soothed as she hugged me close.  "Okay." I told her as I hugged her back.  "Why are you up?" I asked her.  "I couldn't sleep.  I fell asleep for a few hours, tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't.  So I came down here to work on some stuff." She answered.

"Like what kind of stuff?" I asked her.  "Lesson planing.  Nothing too interesting.  I told you I was a teacher, right?" she asked.  "Yeah, you were in the FBI, and now your a criminal teacher." I answered.  "Criminology, but close enough."she smiled.  "You should go back to bed, we got everyone coming over later." Kate suggested.  "Okay, but can you come with?" I asked her.

"Yeah, I should probably sleep too.  Let's go.  This can wait." she answered and we went upstairs to her room.  "I think in a couple days, maybe Tuesday, we can start decorating and finishing your room." she said as we got into bed.  "Okay cool!" I responded.  "My sister, your aunt, Jessi is probably gonna help." Kate said.  "Alright, is she gonna be here later?" I asked.  "Yep, she's excited to meet you." Kate said.  That was all that was said before we both fell back asleep.

***

It was now 10:30 and Kate was getting ready for everyone to come.  I was getting dressed.  I wasn't sure what to wear, but I wanted it to be something nice.  I was getting dressed into a light pink romper sort of thing that had black polka dots all over it.  I was gonna wear the black sandals that me and Kate got, and then Kate said she could do my hair.

I heard the door open down stairs and heard Kate yell, "Hey Jess!"  I guess that was Aunt Jessica downstairs.  I guess I should go say hi, but I'm just worried she won't like me.  Kate beats me to it though.  "Hey Mads?  Aunt Jess is downstairs, you wanna come say hi in person?" she asks.  "What if she don't like me?" I ask her.  "Who couldn't love you?" Kate said as she pulled my hair up and put a black bow in it.  "There, now you look perfect." she said as she hugged me.

"Oh my goodness, is that Miss Madison?!" Jessica said as I came down the stairs next to Kate.  "Hi." I told her as I came in front of her.  She knelt down to my level and kept talking with me.  "I'm Jessica, or Jessi, or Jess, or whatever you prefer.  You can call me your Aunt Jello for all I care." she laughed, and so did I.  "I think I'll stick with Aunt Jess." I told her.  "Fine with me." she responded with.

About twenty minutes later everyone else started showing up.  I had to give myself mental notes on remembering names.  All the kids names I remembered immediately, and I also remembered who their parents were, so I got about half the names right really quick.  So far, from what I can tell, everyone is super nice.  I think this is how everyone goes...

Danica and Josh are dating and have no kids, Alison is divorced and has two kids: Jake who is ten and Jenna who is six, Austin is dating Rebecca and Rebecca has a daughter named Sabrina who is eight, Ethan and Hannah are married and have a nine year old daughter named Brooke, and then there is Colby who is single with no kids.

It's a little confusing, but you know it works.  The kids are pretty cool for the most part.  Girls outnumber boys 3 to 1, and I thought that was kinda funny.  But Jake is so cool.  He plays football for Little Gridiron, and his sister Jenna does ballroom dancing and pageants.  Another thing about Jenna is that she has down syndrome.  Kate explained to me what that was before she came over, but it's not that big of a deal to me, Jenna's funny for six!

Then there's Rebecca's daughter, Sabrina.  Sabrina is really cool!  She's the same age as me, which means she's also in the same grade as me!  And since Kate works in the same school corporation, she's gonna try to 'pull some strings' to get us in the same class.  Sabrina plays softball, rides horses, and plays the piano.  I think her and I hit it off pretty well.

However, I think me and Brooke became best friends quickest.  Brooke and I are a year apart age wise, but I think that's all that really separates us like wise.  She loves sports, sings, and does cheerleading.  Okay, so cheer isn't exactly like dance, but it's close.  She does cheerleading because her mom, Hannah, is a cheer and pageant coach.  Which meant she also does pageants, usually doing them with Jenna.

The day was awesome in short.  Kate and all her friends cooked out, but I didn't eat much of it.  I had a little food to eat, since it was all I'd eat all day, but other than that, nothing really.  But we went in the pool and swam, played basketball, went on the play structure, Brooke and I did some dance and cheer tricks, it was so much fun!  And then when it got dark, we had a bonfire.  I had never been to a bonfire, or knew what s'mores were.  So when Kate broke them out to be made, I told her I had never had one.  She told me I had to try and she was right, now I'm hooked!

Overall, today was just great.  I thought I was gonna be really shy about meeting new people and all the attention being on me per say, but I wasn't.  It was kinda weird.  I went to bed almost right after everyone left.  Except for Aunt Jess, she was staying the night in the guest bedroom.  Today was probably one of the most best days of my life.  I've been saying that a lot, but each day just tops the next.  I guess this is what being in a family is really all about.

***

HEYYYY GUUUYYYYYS!  I hope you enjoyed this chapter.  I am so happy because my computer finally got fixed so now I can update on the computer!  Which will mean faster updates, because I hated writing on my phone!  And also faster updates because I'm allowed to have my computer out during school, but now my phone, so I can be writing while being in class!

Thank you guys so much for reading, I hope you enjoy this book.  Comment ideas or thoughts down below and leave it a vote so we can maybe get this book into the top for General Fiction! 

LOVE YA'LL!