Chapter 19

Maddie's POV

Today is my first day of dance and I am so nervous! Kate told me that I had nothing to worry about and that I was already really good, but I think adults are required to say that kind of stuff. We had to go to the dance studio at noon and then rehearsal was until three-thirty. It sounds long, but since it's something I wanna do, then the time might go by faster.

Aunt Jess had to leave yesterday. But she promised that one day she'll let me come to California with her. That's where her second apartment is since she is in California so much for shows and stuff. She mostly lives by Kate though, only about forty-five minutes away.

Kate came up to my room because she was gonna help me get ready for dance.  We finally got my room completely done and it looks awesome!  I love it!  It's purple and so is my bedding and stuff.  We got to put all my stuff away in the little bins and shelves.  I finally have my own room.

"Alright chickadee, probably get dressed first and then I'll do your hair.  Did you brush your teeth?" She asked and I nodded my head.  I went to my closet and got out one of the dance sets.

Kate was said that this what the girls wore to rehearsals

Kate was said that this what the girls wore to rehearsals. I was fine with just a tee shirt and shorts before, I didn't know there was something that you wore just for classes. When I came out of the bathroom from changing, Kate said that the set I chose was her favorite when we were shopping.

Kate pulled my hair up into a braided bun and then clipped a bow on it. "Alrighty then.  You ready Maddie?" Kate asked. "Yep!" I said excitedly. I was ready to dance in a real studio, but nervous that the other girls might not like me. Before leaving, I grabbed the dance bag that Kate got me and put my water, extra hair ties, and dance shoes in. I didn't know what kind of dance that we would do, so I put in my ballet slippers, jazz shoes, and lyrical shoes.

I got into the car with Kate and watched out the window as she drove. "Excited?" She asked from the front seat. "Yeah, I've never done something like this. I just hope everyone likes me." I told Kate. "Oh come on, I'm sure they'll like you. Some of them might end up being in your class this year." Kate said.

By the time we pulled up to the studio, most all of my nerves we're gone.  "Here we are!" Kate said as she pulled into a spot.  "I'm excited!" I said happily.  I grabbed my bag and went into the studio with Kate.  "Hey Ms. Dawson!" Someone said at the desk.  "Hi, Chrissa!" Kate said as we entered.  Oh yeah, she was the one that gave me my evaluation.

"Ready for dance?  I can show you a quick tour." Chrissa said.  I nodded my head and we followed her.  She showed us the three different studios:A, B, and C.  Then we saw the dancer's lounge, the acro and gymnastics room, and then where parents can watch.  It was bigger than it looked on the outside honestly.

"Alright, so the noon mini comp class is going to be in Studio B.  Have fun newbie!" Chrissa said as she went back to the front.  "Alright, I'm gonna be right up there watching, but don't look for me.  Just you focus on the class.  And have fun." Kate said as we quick hugged and I walked into the studio.

There was one other girl and the teacher in there.  "Oh!  You must be Maddie!  I'm Miss Cambrie Davids, but Miss Cambrie is fine." The taller lady said coming over to me.  "Okay." I told her while nodding.  "We're waiting for some others, and then we'll do a stretch block and you'll just follow along with that, and then I'll help you with anything.  Just ask, okay?" She asked.  I again nodded my head yes.

"I'm Hayden." The other girl said.  "Maddie." I told her, twisting my hands.  "How long have you been dancing?" She asked.  "It's my first day of real dance.  My friends used to show me how to do dance and stuff." I told her.  We talked a little more until the other girls came in and Miss Cambrie introduced me to the girls.  They all seemed really nice.  The team had nine girls including me: Jaycee, Hayden, Mia, Peyton, Alexis, Gwen, and Bella.

We did a stretch block, where we stretched out our muscles, and then Miss Cambrie started getting us ready for the next competition.  "Alright guys, for the competition at the end of June, which is three weeks away, we will have a group dance, three solos, and a duet.  Solos go to Jaycee, Bella and Maddie." She said

I was in shock!  A solo my first week?!  "Maddie I give solos to all our new members as a testing the waters solo.  This is to make sure this is what you really want to do.  It's more fun, than it is strict competition." Miss Cambrie said.  I nodded and smiled, I was so excited.  She told us about our group dance, which was a Musical Theatre/Jazz piece called 'Call it Whatever'.  I wasn't in the duet because Miss Cambrie didn't want to overwhelm me for my first competition.  I didn't even think I'd get to dance at the competition!

We started learning the group, which had a lot of partner work.  My partner was Peyton since we kinda look alike.  We spent all day on the group dance and had half of it choreographed.  That didn't mean we knew it all, but Miss Cambrie knew what she wanted us to do.  "Alright, everybody, I will see you Friday!  Good job girls!" She said as we were dismissed.

I ran to Kate afterwards, I kinda forgot she was watching!  "I have a solo at the competition!" I told her happily.  I'd get to find out what it was about on Friday.  "That's amazing!  You ready to go home?" She asked.  "Yep!" I said happily.  Once leaving the dance studio, I did t realize how tired I was, and fell asleep in the car.