Part 75

“Can I sing it?”

“Please don’t Sid, I’ve heard your last attempt in the ‘War in the Precincts’.”

“That was quite funny.”

N looked at Sid to make him start debriefing.

Sid looked back and got the message, “All right, all right. I flew Arthur to Varangia, we stopped off in Helsinki first though as you well know.” He gave N a knowing look. “Arthur and I had a, er, dispute and I left him for a while which meant he got captured by Colonel Vladimir D’ark of the CGB. Shall I mispronounce Vladimir to make it funnier?”

“Just carry on.”

“Anyway I rescued Arthur, he was being tortured with puns…”

“Serves him right,” blustered N, “he always puns too much.”

“I was able to rescue him when the Author dropped a fridge on his position.”

“Smeg?”

“That’s a term from ‘Red Dwarf’!”

“I meant was it a Smeg fridge.”

“Oh, I couldn’t tell.” Then I rescued him. He went to get the drone. I took a tank out. He got the drone and a coffee machine called Wladeemore.”

“Really?”

“No it was called Vladimir, I just said Wladeemore because you wouldn’t let me make the name funnier earlier on.”

N blew through his lips in a kind of wibbly way.

“So he strapped Vladimir to Fiona’s bomb rack and they took off. We were expecting them to go to Rixa base. Arthur collected his belongings from the torture room and we went after Fiona when we got a call from you ya de ya de ya.”