Part 9

“I have to rescue a top secret drone from the Russians.”

“Varangians,” corrected I.

“Varangians,” reiterated Arthur.

“Arthur didn’t reiterate Author, you only reiterate if you repeat something,” blubbled Sid.

“Oi, I didn’t blubble,” burped Sid. “Aww I hate it when the Author makes me do things I don’t like doing.”

“What is blubbling I wonder?” wondered Arthur.

“It feels kinda funny in your tummy then it blubbles up,” explained Sid.

“Anyway,” continued Arthur, “are you going to help me or what?”

“Am I allowed to? Don’t you need to get permission from TCHQ?”

“They have basically told me I need to use my own resources. I will consider you to be a resource of mine.”

“That’s a new appellation, ‘Sid, the Resource of Arthur’,”

“Are you going to help me or not?”

“Well if I don’t it’s going to get pretty boring really quickly with you talking to yourself all the time thinking you’re funny.”

At about the same time as Arthur was trying to bite his tongue Arianne came back I n her car through the secret garage door.

When she had parked Arthur tried to reprimand her, “You know I do not like you using the secret entrance when you want to drop your shopping off. Why do you think I had the extra garage built for you?”

“Hello darling,” said Arianne as she kissed him, then, “Hello Sid, how are you?”

“Er, fine thanks,” replied Sid hoping that she would not also kiss him. “She’s acting very nice at the moment,” he whispered to Arthur.