Chapter 12

It was only a few days after my close encounter with death. Luca's father and sister, Lila, came to visit us. Lila was a real sweet girl. I wouldn't have been here to meet his family if he didn't save me. In my opinion, it seems that his father, Bill, has approved of me. "Lexis tell me about yourself," Bill asked politely.

"There's really not much to tell, Bill. I just recently lost both of my parents and brother. This is only home I've got. I'm just thankful that your son is here with me," I replied.

I was nervous. What else was I supposed to tell him? I've been in and out of hospitals for no reason really, I was abused by my parents, I've nearly died like three times in the last month... I couldn't think of something that wouldn't throw him off. "I'm glad to hear that my boy makes your life complete. Every time I talked to him, he would never shut up about you. I'm also sorry for your loss. It's not easy for anyone," Bill said in honesty.

"Thank-you Bill," I replied.

"Dad, will you give us your blessing?" Luca asked.

I was confused. What did we need his blessing for? "Of course you do! You two were meant to be together," Bill replied with a huge smile.

Luca let go of my hand. He put his hand in his pocket to get something. My heart raced. "Lexis, we've known each other for only a short period of time. It seems like I've known you my whole life. We've gone through so much together. Without you, I don't know what I would do. Lexis Springer, will you be my wife?" Luca asked me finally.

My hands covered my mouth in shock. Luca was on one knee with a gorgeous 14 karat gold ruby and diamond ring. I was speechless. "Yes! Yes I will!" I said with great excitement and joy.

He stood up and swung me around in his arms. Our lips pressed against each other. Then he put me down gently on the ground. Luca put the ring on my finger. I was now his fiancée. "Is that why we needed your father's blessing?" I asked Luca sweetly.

"Yes it is" he replied after kissing my forehead.

Lila was jumping for joy. She was happy for us both. I wondered if Luca proposed to me in order to let Lila see something wonderful before she dies. If so, it still works for me but it's the best thing that Lila will ever experience. If my brother was still here, I'm sure he would be standing right next to Lila.

I only wished Tucker could see his sister get engaged. He would have loved Luca as much as I have. It was almost a dream come true. I wondered if I had that dream about Luca proposing to me was a message that told me of the future. "Lila, would you like to be the flower girl or Lexis' maid of honor?" Luca asked.

Her eyes went wide. "I would be honored to be Lexis' maid of honor!" she exclaimed with tremendous joy.

"Great!" Luca said.

Luca stayed with his sister and father when I went to tell Diane the splendid news. "Diane, you won't believe this!" I said when I found her on the front porch.

She looked to me and her eyes went wide. She gazed at the beautiful ring that resided on my finger. "Oh my god! I'm so happy for you both!" Diane said with great happiness.

"Thank-you Diane. You don't know how much that means to me" I replied as she embraced me in her arms.

We sat down in the chairs and watched the children play together. As we sat there, I felt nauseous a bit. Was I catching a cold or some kind of virus? Then it dawned on me. My period was a week late. Could I be pregnant? I tried standing up and my head spun around. I nearly fell onto my knees. Diane caught me before I hit the wooden planks. "Are you alright Lexis?" Diane asked in concern.