Chapter 14

It's the day before the wedding. Everything was almost ready for the big day. Everyone who's attending the wedding had already arrived a few days earlier. On Luca's side of the family, there was Lila, Bill, his cousins, Drake, Michael, and Lindsay, as well as his Aunt Morgan and Uncle Brad. On my side, there was Alex, Billy, Izzy, Jake, Uncle Damian, Aunt Lucy, Dhani, and his brother Chayton. It was a small crowd but it was a decent group.

My dress was a pale green and Luca's tux was a light shade of gray. The bride's maids would wear white gowns when the men would wear black suits. Then we found a perfect place for the alter. A weeping willow stood gracefully by the pond closer to the woods in the backyard. It was magical and romantic. Perfect for a beautiful wedding in the middle of summer.

"Are you nervous for tomorrow, Lex?" Dhani asked as he lightly punched my shoulder.

"A little. Everything is on fast forward. So much pain and grief has come and gone over the past few months. Then surprises came up," I replied.

Dhani laughed and I laughed with him. Today I'm Lexis Springer; tomorrow I'll be Lexis Darvis. Tomorrow I'll have a golden ring with an elven leaf ring pattern etched into the metal. It was Diane's idea for us to have that pattern engraved into our rings. Diane is going to assist me in getting ready for tomorrow. She called Father Michael to perform the ceremony.

Everyone talked to one another inside. It was getting too crowded for me. I stepped outside onto the front porch. I leaned my arms against the Victorian styled white fence that bordered the old wooden planks. The wind softly blew my long dark hair out of my eyes. The sky was painted softly with pale blues, purples, pinks, and a little bit of green. It was calming. The horses were in their stalls for the night.

I thought I was alone on the porch. In the silence, Diane leaned against the doorway. "It's dreamy isn't it?" Diane asked.

"Yes it is," I replied not taking my gaze off of the sky.

She walked to my side. She wrapped one arm around my shoulder. The feeling reminded me of when my mom used to do that to me when she actually cared. "You okay Lex?" Diane asked.

I wasn't sure if I was or not. It was hard to tell. "I don't know mom. I'm living in reality but also in a fantasy. I don't know anymore," I cried softly for only Diane to hear.

She took me in her arms and held me close. I noticed Diane was crying along with me. I was excited and nervous all at once. Everything was moving so fast that everything appeared as a blur. "It's alright Lex. It'll be alright. I'm right here by your side. No one is going to abandon you," Diane said in a soothing and comforting voice.

I began to calm down. My tears ceased to exist. All that remained was the wet streaks that painted my skin and puffy gray eyes. "Where are you going to sleep tonight? You know it's bad luck for the groom to see his bride before the wedding," Diane stated.

"I don't know where" I replied.

"You're staying with me tonight. That's final" Diane responded.

"Okay" I said softly, slowly expressing a smile.

She hugged me harder and then kissed my forehead as if I was her own child. She was more of a mother than a close friend. I was accepted into her family as well as my brother when he still had a heartbeat and oxygen in his lungs. I felt like I was living in a magical fairytale.

"Come back inside and have some food," Diane said to me.

"Okay" I replied.

She pulled me into the house. "There you are lucky girl," Alex said sarcastically.