Chapter 10

A few days have passed since Tucker was kidnapped by my father. There was still no luck in finding him. Every night, I see Tucker. First the images appear as dreams then turn into horrifying nightmares. I pictured Tucker smiling at first then seeing his corpse dumped in the sewer. I feared the worst. I just want my brother back.

Luca worked the horses as I just stayed in our room day and night. I always appear with a blank expression painted on my face. I never played my guitar, I never sang a song, and I never wrote a word on a pad of paper. I acted like a drone and a zombie. Everyone appeared to me as ghosts. Was my mother purposely doing this to torture me?

Luca would bring me food but I wouldn't eat a morsel. I promised myself that I wouldn't eat a piece of food until Tucker was found. Everyone was becoming worried. Luca couldn't take it anymore. He went and talked to Diane. "She's not eating, she never gets a good night's sleep, and she's not speaking! Someone has to do something about it! She's killing herself!" He shouted in worry.

"She won't listen to any of us Luca. There's nothing we can do to help her unless Tucker is found. I want to help her too," she responded.

Luca couldn't take it anymore and just started bawling his eyes out. The doorbell rung throughout the house. Diane walked from the living room to answer the door. She opened the door and gazed upon two officers. "May I help you?" Diane asked politely.

"Are you Ms. Schwaine?" The man asked.

"Yes," she replied.

"I'm Officer Thompson and this is my partner Officer Banks," he explained.

"Do you have news of Tucker?" Diane asked with her heart racing.

"Yes we do. I'm sorry, when we found him it was already too late," Officer Thompson explained.

Diane was speechless. How could she tell Lexis? How will they all cope? In between her tears, she finally asked, "Did you arrest his father?"

"We attempted arrest but he ran. We had no choice but to shoot him down. One of numerous bullets hit his heart entering from the back," Officer Banks said.

"Thank-you for coming," Diane said wiping away her tears.

"I'm sorry for your loss. Have a nice day," Officer Thompson said.

They turned and left. Diane slowly shut the door and leaned her back against it. How could they have a nice day? The police just told her that Tucker is dead. She slowly slid down to the floor and wept a thousand tears into her cupped hands.

Luca walked towards Diane from the living room. His eyes were red and puffy from crying. The sight of Diane curled up in a ball was dismaying. "Was the the police at the door?" Luca asked softly.

Diane looked up to gaze at his face. "Yes, Tucker's dead Luca! He's gone!" Diane cried.

Luca was frozen solid. How was he going to tell Lexis? Slowly, he inched up the stairs. He walked to his room and found Lexis standing on the balcony. He slowly walked to my side. I turned around and saw his face. I knew from his appearance and no words were needed. Tears fell from my eyes once more. My brother was dead. I felt so alone in the world. I felt my knees buckle and I crumbled to the ground.

"Luca, what am I supposed to do?" I cried.

"I don't know babe. I just don't know," he replied.

Luca picked me up and brought me to our bed. He cradled me against his warm body. The contact of his skin was calming. I slowly began to stop my tears. Then Luca hugged me close to him. He kissed my forehead. He got his girl back from the shadows of despair.

We walked downstairs and Diane ran to hug me. It was more of a squeeze than a hug. "Do you want something to eat?" Diane asked.

"Yeah that would be nice," I replied.

We all walked out to the patio. Lily brought out some fruit and vegetables for us to snack on. "Thanks Lily," I said.

"You're welcome miss. I'm glad to see you eating some food," Lily replied.

I smiled and picked up a carrot. The taste of food was splendid. I forgot what food tasted like. I was glad that I was eating again but I was only doing so since I found out about Tucker. I miss him so much!

We sat out in the sun for hours. Then kids ran around the yard kicking the soccer ball. Eventually Luca joined in with them. It was nice seeing everyone enjoying themselves in this time of grief. "Do you want to hold a private funeral for Tucker?" Diane asked me.

"That would be easier on me," I replied.

"Okay, I'll call Father Michael to let him know," she said to me as she got up.