Chapter 3

Day after day, I looked forward to seeing Luca again. By the end of the week, I was cleared to go home, but where was I to go? Tucker and I couldn't live with our father anymore after that fiasco that happened in my hospital room. When Tucker and I sat in the waiting room, a woman approached us. "Are you Tucker and Lexis Springer?" she asked.

"Yes, and you are?" I replied in question with a quizzical expression molded on my face.

"I'm Ms. Schwaine, your social worker. I'm taking you two to my place for the time being. I already had movers retrieve your belongings from your home. Everything is ready for you," she said.

I looked at Tucker, then back at Ms. Schwaine. I stood up slowly from my chair and walked forward. Tucker soon followed and the three of us walked out to the checkout desk. Ms. Schwaine put down her signature on the dotted line. "Thank-you, Ms. Diane Schwaine. Have a nice day now," the desk clerk said with a smile on her face.

We walked out the revolving doors and walked to the parking garage. I heard some yell from a distance. I heard my name being vociferated through the air. Then, the voice became familiar, his voice. "Lexis! Lexis, wait!"

"Luca? Luca, what is it?"

He came running and then stopped before me to catch his breath. His face was slightly pink from his short run over to me. "Don't... don't go...," he pleaded in his winded voice.

"Luca, I have no choice. I have to go with her. It's for the best," I replied solemnly.

Tears were clouding his vision. He didn't want to see his girl leave him behind. I walked up to him and our foreheads met. His hands were now tangled in my dark hair. Then I looked up into his soft green eyes and placed one hand on his cheek. He placed his hand over mine and then our fingers intertwined. "I love you, Lexis. I don't want to lose you. Please, I beg of you, don't leave me!" He was pleading with desperation.

I cried when I heard him cry and plead. I didn't want to leave his side. I looked to Ms. Schwaine and all she did was roll her eyes. She took out her notepad and wrote down her address. I heard the paper tear and then she handed him the slip of paper. "Thank-you, Ms. Schwaine," he said as he wiped away his tears.

"Here's my cell number. Call me anytime, okay," I said to Luca.

He took my number and then pulled me in close. Then his lips pressed against mine. I enjoyed the sensation from the heat of the moment. "Lexis, we need to get going," Ms. Schwaine said when she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'll see you around, Luca," I said after our lips parted.

Luca just stood there as I turned and walked away with Tucker and Ms. Schwaine. He remained speechless from our parting. "Where do you live, Ms. Schwaine?"

She continued walking and said nothing. After a few minutes, we reached her car. She drove a Ford Mustang 2011 that was the shade of deep blue with black decals. Tucker stood there in awe. I laughed softly when I looked upon my brother as his mouth slowly ringented. "I live about twenty miles from your home downtown. It's secluded and quiet. Out in the woods and has a horse stable that holds about fifty horses," she finally replied to my question.

A horse stable! Luca would love her place alright. "Do you have any children of your own?" Tucker asked that question shyly as his cheeks filled with a rosy tint.

"Yes, I have twin boys about the same age as you Tucker and a three year old daughter. You would get along with them quite well," she stated.