Chapter 6

Hours went by until the doctor was done with me. It was a relief that he finally left. I hate doctors. I just wanted everything to become easier than always leading to violence. Diane called the police on her husband. He was finally going to spend time in jail for his crimes. Tucker, Tommy, Jacob, and Pia stood by my side when Diane stood by the door to watch her husband be driven away. She had tears overwhelming her vision. She loved Tony but this was for his own good.

"Lexis, thank-you," Diane said softly in my ear.

"You're welcome, Diane," I replied.

She smiled and I smiled back. Jacob, Tommy, and Tucker were talking up a storm and then the three of them ran off outside with Pia travelling behind. My phone started ringing again. It was Luca calling again. "Hey," I said.

"Oh thank God that you're alright! You had me worried sick!" Luca shouted into the phone which blew out my eardrum.

"I'm sorry. Just some stuff has been going on. I miss you," I replied.

We talked for hours. I was glad to hear his voice. "Do you think Ms. Schwaine would let me work at her place? I kind of need the money," Luca asked.

"Hold on, I'll go ask her" I replied.

I ran down the stairs in search of Diane. I found her sitting on the front porch swing watching the children play. "Um, Diane, can I ask you something?" I asked.

"Yeah sure. What's the matter?" she replied.

"Luca was wondering if he could work here. He's a good horse trainer and gets along with people. Is that alright?" I asked as I placed a hand over the speaker of my phone.

"Sure, we have a spare room upstairs where Antonio stayed. He can come by today if he'd like," Diane said with a smile.

"Thank-you," I replied with a returning smile.

Luca was laughing on the other end. He heard everything that Diane said. "I'll see you later," I said as I twirled my hair.

"Okay, I better be packing my things. I love you," he said sweetly.

"I love you too," I replied.

We hung up the phone and continued on with our day. I grabbed my guitar and started playing. It was the softest melody that could put a baby to sleep like a lullaby. Diane walked up the stairs and leaned against my doorway. I noticed her but I continued playing.

"That's very beautiful," Diane said.

"Thank-you. I've been working on it for a couple of months," I said.

"Come downstairs. You haven't had anything to eat since you got here," she said as she grabbed my hand.

I smiled and carefully placed my guitar on my bed. We walked down the stairs and walked into the kitchen. The chef, Remi, was preparing a nice salad with chicken patty sandwiches. The aromas were outstanding. Within minutes, the other children came running in to wash up before lunch was served. "No running in the kitchen, little ones," Remi shouted after them.

Their laughter was heard throughout the house. It was a sign of happiness in this hard time. Diane and I walked out onto the back patio and sat down in the comfortable patio chairs. Then the children followed behind us. "Lunch is served," Remi announced.

"Thank-you Remi. We'll call for you if we need anything," Diane replied.

We dug in to our food and it was exquisite. By 1:30 PM, we all had finished our meal. Then I heard a running truck engine humming up the gravel driveway. I walked to the nearest window to see who was coming. It was Luca and he was hauling his horse trailer behind his rugged truck.

I ran out the front door past Diane. She turned her head around and saw the young boy stepping out of his truck. She laughed and continued walking. I smiled with such joy and contempt. "Luca!" I shouted in pure love and happiness.

"Hey baby girl," Luca said as he embraced me in his muscular arms.

Our lips met and sparks flew once again. Diane came outside to meet Luca properly. "Ms. Schwaine, it's nice to see you again," Luca said politely as he held out his hand.

She shook his hand. "Like wise. Welcome to the family Luca," she replied.

Luca brought me around to the trailer. He unlocked the doors and there stood a beautiful dun coat North Swedish filly and a remarkable bay coat Turkoman colt. "This is Caramel and Brody. My old employer, Sadie Marks, gave them to me as my payment for my hard work over the years," Luca said.

"There's plenty of room in the stable. I'll have some of the workers bring your things upstairs to your room," Diane said.

"Thank-you, Ms. Schwaine," Luca responded.

"Please, call me Diane," she stated.

Luca led Brody and I led Caramel down to the stable. Each stall had a name plate on it. Then we found two unclaimed stalls near Diablo's. Diablo whinnied softly to get my attention. I looked up and smiled at him. I knew he was glad to see me. I led Caramel into her new stall and I went over to Diablo. I let Diablo nuzzle his nose into the palm of my hand.

Then I heard someone's phone ringing. I knew it wasn't mine. I turned around to find Luca on his cell. "No Lila! You can't come and see me right now! I need to settle in here," Luca argued.

I was nervous. Did he already have a girlfriend? Was he cheating on me? So many questions were going through my head. When he wasn't looking, I ran off towards the house so I could lock myself in my room. Then I slowly went up the stairs and walked past Tucker's room. I finally came to my door.

I turned the knob and hid inside. Then I turned my back against the door. I broke down in tears and slowly slid until I hit the floor. Then my phone went off. I looked at the caller ID and it was Luca. My finger held the end call button until my phone shut off.

"Lexis, where are you?" Luca yelled like a a lunatic throughout the house let alone around the property.