Chapter 5

I rode off into the woods at a full gallop. To Antonio's amazement, I was a pretty good rider. Then when I was far enough away from the house, Antonio ran to find Ms. Schwaine. "Antonio, what is the matter with you?" Ms. Schwaine exclaimed.

"Lexis is riding Diablo ma'am. I have never seen Diablo act this way to anyone. He just watched her and then he let her enter his stall. He let her pet him and mount him without an issue. It was a miracle," Antonio blurted out while trying to catch his breath.

"Why did you let her ride him, Antonio? He could just be playing around with her or acting," she shrieked.

Antonio shrugged his shoulders and let his head sulk down to the floor. He felt ashamed and betrayed his employers. "I'm sorry, Ms. Schwaine. I let you down," Antonio said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I rode in between the trees and then found myself in a meadow with a crystal clear lake and waterfall. It was amazing here. I dismounted Diablo and led him over to the water. Then my phone started to ring. I checked the caller ID and I didn't recognize the number. "Hello?"

"Lexis, it's Luca. How are you?" Luca sounded on the other end of the phone line.

"Um, like really scared. Mr. Schwaine came into my room upon our arrival on the property. Luca, he raped me. I don't know if I should tell Diane or not. He has three children and I don't want this family falling apart because of me," I wailed.

It was dead silence on the phone. "Luca," I cried softly.

"Yeah, I'm still here baby. I just can't believe he did that to you. I'm wondering if he has a history," Luca said in a monotone, yet sounding perturbed.

Diablo whinnied and nudged my shoulder lightly. I turned to face him and his eyes were gentle and soft. Then his head jerked up and ears perked straight up. Something or someone was nearby and it was spooking Diablo. "Luca, I think someone is here. I got to go. I'll call you back. I love you," I said with a nervous voice.

"Lexis, don't hang up the phon...," Luca demanded.

I ended the call when he was saying something. I mounted Diablo again and was on alert. Slowly, someone emerged on horseback from the tree line. "Lexis, it's just me," Antonio called.

"You scared the shit out of me Antonio! What the hell are you doing?" I yelled at him as he rode over to me.

"Well lo ciento Lexis. Ms. Schwaine sent me to come get you. She wants you back ASAP," Antonio said with a grave face.

Something was up and it was freaking me out. Antonio rode in front of me silently. The bay mare kept challenging Antonio and he was getting flustered. "Um, Antonio," I said.

"Shut up bitch! You're costing me my job!" Antonio's voice was full of complete rage.

I was shaking from head to toe with fear. Antonio dismounted the mare and then pried me off Diablo. I screamed and struggled. I thought Antonio was a sweet and kind gentleman. I was apparently mistaken.

"Antonio stop! Help!" I screamed.

My screams were carried out on the wind towards the house. The children stopped chasing one another and stood there in silence. The boys looked at one another and then ran off towards the stable. They quickly put bridles on their horses, Jefferson and Buck, and rode off towards where Antonio and I were in the woods. "Antonio, please stop... You don't need to do this... Please" I begged under my breath as if I was dying.

"Shut up!" Antonio yelled viciously, spitting in my face in the process.

Diablo and the stubborn mare picked up their heads and watched the twins ride in. "Antonio, let her go now," the boys demanded.

"You stay out of this. She's my problem, not yours," Antonio hissed venomously.

Diablo couldn't take it any longer. He bucked and kicked until Antonio hit the ground with streaks of blood painting his face. Then Diablo nuzzled my beaten body and just lied down next to me. There was something about me that he saw and bonded with me. I was his partner and he was just waiting for the right person to come around. "Tommy, get her on Diablo and ride with her. I'll take care of Antonio," Jacob instructed his twin brother.

"Alright, but be careful. I'll tell mom and dad about what happened," Tommy replied.

Tommy dismounted Jefferson and carefully placed me upon Diablo's back. Diablo stood up and allowed Tommy to mount. With a slight kick, we were off. Jacob punched Antonio and commanded him to mount Belle, the stubborn mare. Antonio did as Jacob wished and waited for Jacob. Jacob rode Buck and led Jefferson home.

Within minutes, Tommy, Diablo and I were back at the house. "Mom! Dad! We need help!" Tommy cried.

Diane and Tony came running out of the house to find me unconscious. Tommy began to cry when he noticed my state began to get worse than when we were still in the woods. "What happened to her, Tommy?" Ms. Schwaine exclaimed.

"Jacob, Pia, and I heard a scream for help coming from the woods. When we found her, Antonio was beating her to a pulp. Jacob told me to bring Lexis back here for safety when Jacob stayed behind to handle Antonio," Tommy explained with tears dripping from his innocent face.

Ms. Schwaine became devastated. How could Antonio do this? Mr. Schwaine carefully pulled me off Diablo and brought me inside to my room. Then he left me alone to call the doctor. I slowly opened my eyes and tried to get up from my bed. Before I could move anywhere, Ms. Schwaine came into my room. "Diane? I didn't expect to see you," I said in my quiet voice.

"I came to check on you. I'm so sorry for all of this. Antonio hasn't been like this since his sister died a few years back. His mother is ill and it doesn't look like she's going to make it," Diane explained.

"Oh, I understand. Um, I have something to tell you and you're probably not going to like it," I said.

"Okay what is it?" She asked with a concerning look covering her compassionate face.

"I was raped by your husband. If you want proof, the clothes I was wearing earlier are ripped to shreds, I have his DNA all over my body, and that's why I probably looked like a total mess earlier," I explained, sounding terrified with my voice shaking ever so slightly.

"I know. I saw how you were acting earlier. So, I asked Tony to see if he knew anything. Of course, he said no. Then I checked your room and found your clothes scattered on the floor, your bed was unmade, and I found my husband's watch by the closet door. This isn't the first time he's done it" she replied.

I was so scared. I didn't believe that she just told me everything. "Did he ever harm you, Pia, or any of the workers?" I asked through my tears.

"Yes, he has. Only to me and no one else that you just named off. Ever since I started bringing kids here for safety, they would always become afraid of this place within hours upon arrival," she cried.

I was shocked to hear that. Has Tony ever been put away for his crimes? "Why didn't you file divorce papers against him or a restraining order?" I asked in utter shock.

She sat silently. I felt as if I just put a thorn in her side. I went over of the line. "I've thought about it for years. Once I realized what a brutal monster he really was, I didn't want my children to get in harm's way. Now, I think it's time to go through with those plans," she said as she wiped away her tears.

I smiled and wiped away my tears. We hugged as if we were mother and daughter. She was like a mother to me than the woman who was my birth mother. I finally felt like I was home. I was beginning my adventure to find my freedom. I was free...