Chapter 9

Luca and I got dressed and headed downstairs. No one was in the dining room, the back patio, or the front porch. Luca went to the kitchen and I went to the living room. There they were sitting on the floor and the couch watching television. "Hey, looked who decided to show up," Tucker said with a grudge.

"Sorry I pushed your buttons, Tuck," I said with an attitude.

"You and Luca missed dinner. If you want, you two can order pizza," Diane said kindly.

"Thanks Diane," I said in a kinder tone.

I went to find Luca after the minor heated moment. This wasn't the first time that Tucker and I had friction between us. It's been harder for the both of us with the death of our mother, my time going in and out of hospitals, and child abuse. "Luca? Where are you?" I called out.

"I'm right here," he said as he walked through the entryway leading to the kitchen.

"Diane said we could order pizza if we wanted to," I told him.

"Sounds good. What kind?" he asked.

I thought for a moment or two. What type of pizza do I like best? "I would have to say extra cheese, bacon, sausage, and BBQ chicken," I replied with a smile.

Luca laughed and pulled out his cell phone. Placed our order and then was off to head downtown. I walked upstairs to my room and played music on my laptop. It seemed like an eternity until Luca came back. "Took you a while baby," I said as he walked through the door with a large pizza in hand.

"Sorry, late night traffic," he replied.

He sat down on the bed and opened the box. He took out the first slice and gave it to me on a paper plate. I bit into it and I was in heaven. It's been a while since I had it last. We should get takeout more often.

It was 8:03 PM when we finished eating. I grabbed my pajamas and headed into the shower. Luca threw away the box and waited patiently on the bed. When I got out of the bathroom, Luca was passed out already. I smiled and kissed his forehead. "Good night sleepy head," I whispered.

He slightly flinched as I crawled into bed next to him under the covers. I was finally enjoying life. My life changed after meeting Luca. I'm grateful for that otherwise, I would be living in an alternate universe. Then the deep sleep took over me.

I was walking through the woods. Flowers were intertwined in small braids. I wore a white flowing dress that looked like a wedding dress. My bare feet walked across the brush until they touched the lush green grass of the hidden meadow. Across the way stood Luca wearing a white dress shirt, unbuttoned, with tan dress pants. I smiled as I gazed upon his glorious face. I walked then ran to him. Then he ran to me and spun me around in the air. It was wonderful. Then time flew by and the stars glitter on the black backdrop of sky. It set the scene for a romantic evening. I was lying on my back on the grassy floor. I didn't even notice Luca get on one knee. "Lexis, we've been together for a while now. I fallen in love deeper with you each day I spend with you. Well, what I'm trying to say is this. Lexis Springer, will you marry me?" Luca asked nervously but romantically.

After that, I woke up. It was morning and the sun was shining through the windows. Its warm rays shone upon our faces. Luca was awake before me and was brushing his fingers through my hair. "Good morning beautiful," he said sweetly.

"Good morning," I replied with a smile.

He leaned in for a kiss and our lips met. I loved the feeling of his lips on mine. "You want me to take you downtown to the little coffee shop off of Main?" he asked.

"Sure, you drive though," I said.

We jumped out of bed and pulled on some clothes to make us presentable. Then we snuck downstairs and out the front door. We jumped in his truck and headed casually down the driveway. Music was playing in the background from the country station 98.1. The song that was playing was She's A Butterfly by Martina McBride. "That little girl is you, Lex," Luca said romantically.